Seeking advice... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 07:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Seeking advice...

Getting frustrated with my finances holding up the engine swap - so, I turn to you wise people to help! I have a 90 YJ with the 2.5l 4cyl., an AX-5 5 spd. tranny, NP231, and stock axles. I want to pull the worn, crappy 4 cyl and replace it with a stock 350 (w/ carb and HEI) as cheap as possible. It's pretty much a trail-only vehicle since my girlfriend lets me use her Land Cruiser when I need to get around, so time is not an issue - money is! Any junkyard parts advice, re-engineering tips or general psychiatric guidance is appreciated!! And think of this - the lift - and another silly post like this one - comes next! Thanks!!

Jason Perkins
90 YJ soft top
It'll be a real Jeep someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 08:17 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Seeking advice...

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img].. ok.. first off.. this aint cheap.. for one.. you will need a chevy tranny.. chevy transfer case.. and atleast a front axle.. would also swap that crappy rearend.. since it wont last that long with a 350 infront of it.. and anyway you look at it.. with that 4 cyl.. its not cheap.. since that tranny is not good for anything but it.. keep in mind when you do this.. chevy engine=chevy tranny=chevy transfercase.... amc engine=amc tranny=amc transfer case.. you can mix and match these parts with adapters.. very expensive adapters..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

http://www.jeepgod.net
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 08:34 PM
cj7jeep

Re: Seeking advice...

I am going the way JEPGOD suggests. I Ran into a very good deal on a 76 Blazer drivetrain. NP205 t/c, SM465 4 speed(granny low), Dana 44/12 bolt. All for $75, the blazer was letf behind by a renter to pay off what he still owed. This will not be the altimate combo, but for here in Kansas with only mud and sand it will do alright. Go find an old pickup or Blazer and strip it down and sell what you don't need.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode