Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Fun in the mud (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/82957-fun-mud.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 08-14-2001 10:11 AM

Fun in the mud

Well I finally got the jeep all back togather. Took it out to play with it, click here to see the results.

hint turn up the volume [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

John
Damn the Mud!! Full speed ahead!!!
http://www.Marylandmudbugs.com

RickB 08-14-2001 10:16 AM

Re: Fun in the mud

Both you and your Jeep look like your having fun.

Rick
80 CJ7

Olin18 08-14-2001 10:30 AM

Exellent. Looks like a lot of fun.

91 YJ swaped in 4.0L 2 inch lift.
"Because there is no reason not to"

**DONOTDELETE** 08-14-2001 11:04 AM

Nice!!!

<font color=red> Red 7 </font color=red> in the <font color=green> Green Mountain State </font color=green>
<font color=red>84 CJ7 / 258 / weber
</font color=red>
"Don't be mad at me if I laugh at you because you have a funnel on your tailpipe."

**DONOTDELETE** 08-14-2001 12:46 PM

Looks like a blast!

Technical question for those reading this thread: What's the best way to approach the mud hole in the above video as an obsticle? Speed and momentum, slower with torque, or somewhere in between?

Who needs a road...if there's a perfectly good JEEP trail somewhere else!?

WILL 08-14-2001 02:01 PM

I would approach it with different tires.

RickB 08-14-2001 02:23 PM

canis: Probably not the answer you're looking for, but I generally ease into the mudhole and try to walk through it. If the wheels start to spin and I loose momentum, I nail the gas and hang on.

Rick
80 CJ7

DanStew 08-14-2001 02:36 PM

Canis,
I learned the last couple of times when mudding, is to put the front in at a slow pace, then when the wheels feel like they are losing, then hit the gas. I used to just gun it when going to a hole. The mud holes we run usually are fully of water. So after learning and watching, it is best to go in a little slowly at first, because the intitial splash down will kill your engine, if you are not setup correctly. Believe me it has happened. And i have seen people just completely kill the engine by hydrolocking it. Very bad.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

**DONOTDELETE** 08-14-2001 03:37 PM

Tires aren't that big of a deal, I have stock for now on my TJ, and it does very good in mud. I'm not saying larger, more agressive tires aren't better, because they are, and I have some, but you can play in the mud in bald tires if you wanted, I wouldn't suggest it though.. Going in slowly makes sense, but going in fast gives you extra momentum for when you hit the soft stuff. WIth stock tires, monetum is what'll get you out. Swampers just pull your ass out. I don't know about detrimental effects, but as long as your not plowing into a huge bog with it gunned, I don't see a big problem with momentum. Yeah, you'll get dirtier with splash down, but oh well. Jeep on!

"Roads? Where we're going; we don't need...roads"
Jeep On!

**DONOTDELETE** 08-14-2001 03:39 PM

oh yeah, is that an automatic?

"Roads? Where we're going; we don't need...roads"
Jeep On!