$8000 good price for CJ7 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 04:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

$8000 good price for CJ7

I am going to be purchasing the following for $8000, and was wondering if it is a fair deal (its my first CJ):
78 CJ 7
New Body with new paint, New Frame (Rhino lined), New 360 engine, T176 Trans, Dana 300, AMC 20 rear with 3.73 and Detroits, Front Dana 30 with 3.73 and Detroits, Warn 5 bolt hubs, Electric fan, dual batteries, 4" Procomp lift, reverse shackles, 3" body lift, 2" shackel lift, Brand new 35" BFG MT on 15x10" Eagle alloys, 6 point roll cage and a few extras.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 05:09 PM
JMZ
Journeyman

Re: $8000 good price for CJ7

My jeep doesn`t have all those goodies and it will take more money than that to get me to part with it.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 05:11 PM
Keyboard Implanted

That sounds like quite alot of money to me. It seems that everything is either new or worked out on it. The price you are going to pay is what the guys wants to recoup what he put in, which isn't a bad thing mind you, but i can get a decent CJ7 for about $2500 where i live and even that is a little high, because there are many more in bad shape, but run fine. There will be some rust and some things to fix on the cheaper ones, but eventually you will have to fix something on the $8000 one. I can say that i put more that quadrupal into mine than what i paid for it, but it gave me the chance to put what i want on there, and i have the pride to say i built it. Just make sure the jeep has what you want in it and see if you can go down a little further. And if you plan on taking it into the woods, then that nice paint job will get shredded real quick.
Just my opinion.
Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 06:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The Deal is a bit high for a normal CJ7, but that doesn't sound like the run of the mill CJ7, Dan pointed out that in places you can get a decent CJ7 for quite cheap, but you will be paying out the noise to keep it running, not to mention many older cjs have allot of rust. Around southern ca, you can get a good CJ7 fair paint, no rust, good engine, even with MPI I see em anywhere from 5K to 8K

Specifically for the Jeep you are looking at, if its put together well, then 8K is a fair deal. Find out, is the engine really new, or rebuilt it, who did the work to the jeep, was it professionally painted? If it has a new body, and engine, the whole jeep will have been rewired. Check out the electrical very thoroughly. Also some weak spots I see in the Jeep, 2" lift shackles, They hinder handling and can make the jeep quite unstable at high speed. Also the 3" body lift causes allot of strain to the mounts on the body, even though it is new, check around the body mounts for cracking, and if you do get the jeep, look to reinforce those mounts. Also is the Tranny stock? are the axles stock, these may be weak links behind a high power engine, even though they have detroits, the stock 2 piece axles are weak, also you can spin the housing, if its not welded to the carrier.

Bottom Line, don't let your heart beat out your brain, be objective, get the thing thoroughly checked. If its good, its a more then fair deal.

good luck

Matt

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 07:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

im with matt on this one.. go thru this with a fine tooth comb.. what kind of body is it? fiberglass.. they make cheap ones out there.. take a good look at points like where the doorlatches are.. how stiff is it.. look at how the seats are in there. and the seatbelts.. little things like that are not only for your safety.. but will clue you in on the quality of the craftsmanship.. i will also say that, that d30 front axle wont hold up if you plan on doing some REAL off roading.. not with a detroit and a v8.. check the seal under the windshield also.. like i said quality.. and the wiring.. not only inside but for the engine as well.. if its been done right.. then its more than a fair price..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

http://www.jeepgod.net
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 10:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the input. Just a bit more info. The seats are mounted right to the roll cage. It has a 5 point harness also. The guy I am buying it from works at a respectable body shop in town and he really knows his stuff when it comes to body and frame work. He also rebuilds other vehicles at his house. The trans and xfer case are also both new. (at least less than one year old) The rear axle has 1 piece Moser axles and all the wiring is sound. I think from what I gathered from your input, I shoudn't feel too bad about spending the 8,000. It is my first CJ and it is basically everything I would do to a stock CJ. This guy obviously knows more than me and he made the jeep for rock crawling (he runs 33" boggers). He can go over level 5 trails in the area with no problem. Again thanks for your input and help.

Brian

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 11:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The price is good, if the engine trans and driveline are all fairly new, and also that the work done on it looks top notch. For that price I would inspect EVERYTHING down to the nut and bolt. Ask lots of questions. If he doesn't have answers I would pass. Also if the einge trans, and driveline are not fairly new (under 10000 miles) I would think the price is too high. However buying this jeep insures you hundreds of hours saved to get an average jeep to this point. You have to decide what is more valuable to you. Time or money.

Jesse

What does not kill my wallet, will still make me poorer.
AOL Instant Messager: jessemyers
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 03:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

$8K is a little bit much for a CJ, but just look at what it comes with! If I had the money to blow, I'd get it. You will have an awesome trail rig from the first day you own it. You won't be spending much on upgrades since almost everything possible has been done. I say go for it.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 04:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If all the upgrades are what the current owner says they are it doesn't sound like a bad deal to me. For what has been added you would be hard pressed to do the same things for under $8k, even doing it all yourself. I look at how much I have invested in mine (lots more than $8k) and it looks like complete $hit to me. I know now that I could have bought something like what you have found, spent a little bit on a few more upgrades (winch,tire carrier,etc.), and come out ahead of where I am dollar-wise and looks-wise and had just as capable of a vehicle.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 06:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

8K isn't all that bad I guess. Just make sure you look at it real close, check everything carefully. I've been offered 10K for mine and I have no top, and on more than one occasion. I've had people look me up in stores, junkyards to see if I want to sell it. I know this summer will be more of the same. If you wind up buying it, congrats and have fun, later.

Booger [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

If a dog has no tail, how can you tell he's glad to see you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode