Differences between 90 and 95 Dana 30 & THANX - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 03:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Differences between 90 and 95 Dana 30 & THANX

I just swapped in a 95 Dana 30 into my 90 YJ after breaking my front left axle on the Sidewinder trail.
The 95 had 3.05 (or something like that) gears where my old D-30 had 4.56 gears and an ARB.
Are the axle shafts the same diameter and tooth count?
Are there any differences in the carrier, bearings or pinion?
I'd like to pull the guts (ARB carrier/ring and pinion) out of the 90 D-30 and put them into the 95 this weekend.
The only difference I've noticed so far are that the u-Joints are bigger and that the Shift motor (that connects the front rt axle) is a little bit different.
Can someone warn me in advance if this swap will not work before I tear into it?
I've been a long time (sideline) follower of this forum but until recently have not been able to submit any questions or replies
I feel like I've known most of you for years, and I'd like to take this opportunity to say a big THANK YOU to all of you for all the time
you spend solving your fellow jeepers problems.

Thanx again and I hope to see some of you in or around the So. Cal. trails.

-Gus-

90YJ 4.2L NV4500 456:1 33's Twin ARB's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 03:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Differences between 90 and 95 Dana 30 & THANX

Gus, I checked ORC tech section and as far as I could see all the YJ front D30's are the spline count. The later ones did use the 297-X u-jiont
which is the same as a D44. All the internals in the pumpkin should bolt right in. BTW, I'm also from San Diego and ran Sidewinder about a
month ago. I hang with Tierra Del Sol.

Gary
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 05:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with Gary. In looking at my 4WD Hardware catalog, the same part numbers are listed for 87-95 for axles and differential carriers. The only differences they note are between ABS and non-ABS.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 05:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanx Gary, I appreciate the info and hope to get into it this weekend. I confirmed with O.R.W. that the ARB carrier is the same part number from 87 to 96.
I'm currently hitting some of the local trails with a small club called the "Rough Riders". Not sure what to tell you about where they are from because it's basically an e-mail/phone call club. We don't have dues or meetings, just calls and e-mails when someone is going out or whenever someone is doing an upgrade or repair. So far it's been great for me.
Hope to see you on the trails.
-Gus- in San Diego

90YJ 4.2L NV4500 456:1 33's Twin ARB's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode