CJDave, GC question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

CJDave, GC question

I was wondering, since you are the resident expert, about Grand Cherokee's. My wife would like to get one once all this settlement stuff is over and I would like to know if they are worth getting. She currently drives my 96 XJ with a 3" lift and 31's. If she gets the ZJ I think we'll get it in two wheel drive cause she never sees off-road anyway. Tell me what I should be worried about, we plan on buying new, also should I go with the V-8...Aw, Hell just give me your full opinion like I know you can.

Thanks,
Rich

I may not like what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
Semper Jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 11:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: CJDave, GC question

There is alot of good information on this site for repair
http://www.allpar.com/fix.html

From some of these sites I remember reading that 1997 had a few more problems with them so for myself If I were looking I would look at 1998 or newer.
I cut and pasted this info from the site below: Also at this site you can find secret warrentee information.

http://www.lemonaidcars.com/

Year 2000: Best and Worst SUV, Van, and Truck Buys

Sport-Utilities
Note that there are two types of used 4X4s you’re likely to encounter: part-time and full-time four-wheel drive. Part-time four-wheel drive should be engaged when road conditions are wet and muddy or if roads are snow covered. The four wheels are locked together to turn at the same rate of speed. On dry pavement, driving in 4X4 mode will strain the drivetrain and damage the driveline components.

Full-time four-wheel drive (also called all-wheel drive) is a more sophisticated system that permits driving on any surface. A centre differential lets all four wheels turn at different speeds.

Also, keep in mind that safe off-roading requires suspension, engine, and drivetrain packages and other components, such as off-road tires and a skid plate, that may not have come with your vehicle. Check your equipment before attempting any risky driving.

Recommended

Explorer, Mountaineer (1995–98)
Infiniti QX4 (1997–98)
Lexus LX 450, LX 470 (1997–98)
Ford/Lincoln Expedition, Navigator (1997–98)
Toyota 4Runner (1996–98)

Above Average

Chrysler/Jeep CJ, Wrangler, TJ Wrangler (1997–98)
Mercedes ML 320 (1998)
Subaru Forester, Outback (1995–98)
Ford Explorer (1993–94)
Honda CR-V (1997–98)
Honda Passport/Acura SLX/
Isuzu Rodeo, Trooper (1998)
Toyota 4Runner (1988–95)
Toyota RAV4 (1997–98)

Average

Chrysler Durango (1998)
GM Blazer, Tahoe, Yukon (1995–98)
Chrysler Ramcharger (1990–93)
Chrysler/Jeep Cherokee (1995–98)
GM Chevrolet Tracker, Suzuki Sidekick (1994–98)
Chrysler/Jeep Grand Cherokee (1995–98)
Isuzu Rodeo, Trooper (1993–97)
Chrysler/Jeep CJ, Wrangler,
Wrangler (1987–96)
YJ Nissan Pathfinder (1987–98)
Suzuki Samurai (1992–94)
Ford Bronco (1994–96)
Toyota Land Cruiser, Toyota RAV4 (1996)
GM Blazer, Bravada, Envoy, Jimmy (1995–98)

Below Average

Chrysler Ramcharger (1985–89)
Ford Bronco (1988–93)
GM Chevrolet Tracker, (1990-94)
GM Blazer, Jimmy, Tahoe, Yukon GM Suburban (1995–98)
Suzuki Sidekick (1989–93)
Honda Passport/Isuzu Rodeo, Trooper (1986–92)

Not Recommended

AM General Hummer (1996–98)
Chrysler/Jeep Cherokee (1985–94)
GM Blazer, Jimmy (compacts) (1985–89)
GM Blazer, Jimmy (full-sized) (1993–94)
GM Escalade (1998)
Chrysler/Jeep Grand Cherokee (1983–94)
Chrysler/Jeep Wagoneer, Grand Wagoneer (1985–93)
Ford Bronco (1979–87)
Ford Bronco II (1983–90)
Ford Excursion, Ford Explorer (1991–92)
GM Suburban (1985–94)
Lada Cossack, Niva
Land Rover Discovery (1994–98)
Suzuki X-90 (1997–98)
Suzuki Samurai (1986–91)

1983 CJ7
Howell Fuel Injection
4.0 Head
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 11:51 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Having just rolled over 100K on the GC, I have this to say: "All of our assumptions proved to be correct." It took my son Pete and I about three weeks to pore over the specs and decide what to order. and we hit it perfect for the job that our GC has to do. First....we wanted open center FWD...so we got the 242 transfer case..Select-Track. Then, fuel mileage was super-important (we drive 27K per year) so we got the highest gear we could get. 3.54 axles with 27% overdrive behind the locked-up auto tranny. Next we made SURE we did not get climate control....a HUGE pain in the butt...I was a Cady guy before this and I've had enough of climate control. THEN we concentrated on getting rid of WEIGHT....for snow we don't need the skid plates, and they keep cool air away from the boxes, so we didn't get skid plates. By going with the 4.0 we dropped 270 pounds off the FRONT axle, giving us almost 50-50 front-rear in snow with a full fuel tank. We got the Laredo package because so much comes standard that upgrading was not necessary. To be perfectly honest, if you were just interested in plowing through mud and snow to get to the mail box or to town, the XJ (Regular Cherokee)is actually adequate. The added 750 pounds of body weight and A LOT of soundproofing, howeve, makes the ZJ (Grand Cherokee) a comfortable road machine...with ONE exception....you sit about three feet above the center of rotation, and the vehicle has a tendency to toss you side to side A LOT. Your coffee cup in the console never moves(it is at the center of rotation) but you pitch side to side. Now the new ones have a lot of changes and one that I do NOT like is the high rear floor. They moved the spare underneath, and raised the floor. The tire is too low and the floor is too high. Space for luggage IS a problem in my Grand Cherokee....even with the space-saver spare, but I would still not want the tire hanging down there. The new models may still have Select-Trac available, and it is just a super, trouble-free case. On the upgraded LIMITED, Quadra-Trac II is standard, Quadra-Drive is optional. On the LAredo, both Quadra drives are optional. Quadra-Trac II divides the power front to back automatically in the transfer case, putting the power where there seems to be traction; on Quadra-Drive, it divides in the t-case AND the differentials putting power ONLY where traction seems to be present. Both systems are complex, and use the gearotor type of coupling to sense slippage and select the power path to the wheels with traction. If I were you, and FWD is NOT really a critical need, I would opt for Select-Trac anyway, just to make the CG worth more later on. There is no penalty for running all four if you want to, and in 2WD is is a real mileage-maker. I can easily get 24, and if I really try, 25-26 in our 3800 pound GC. Get the smaller engine to save weight and fuel. Our 4.0 has pulled our CJ on a trailer with a combined weight of almost 5,000 pounds up to our mountain hideout, where we climbe 2500 feet in about nine miles. I stuck it down in low range to make it easy on the tranny, but I had plenty of power with all four driving and the Select-Trac in 4LO. Hope this helps somewhat[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]Oh....and one other thing....we spent UNDER $100 dollars on repairs for the first 100K....we had to replace the tranny cooler hoses.....one of the fittings was not holding well......and we had to replace the battery. Now it is about ready for maybe a transfer case chain and alternator brgs, and several other pre-emptive type maintainance operations. What do I like the most about my Grand? Driving RIGHT BY the rest of the junk...and I mean ALL of them....in snow with the 242 transfer case. The excellent ground clearance and weight distribution, AND......a "TRUE" front axle, which somehow...and I'm not sure why or how....makes a HUGE difference in getting through mud and snow[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 01:00 PM

My $.02....
We own three of these a '93, '95, '98. The '92 and '95 both have over 120K on them. We have had very good luck with them. No major repair bills so far.

Sometime after 100K the tranny will start leaking from its rear seal. I am told that this is because there is not enough fluid flow to the OD part of the tranny which causes it to heat up more. The extra heat makes the seal fail over time. This has happened on both the '92 and '95.

The D44 aluminum center axles on the '96 and up make a loud whining noise. There is a kit at the dealer to fix this.

In high salt areas the front discs rust out ('93-'95). There is a recall for this.

'93-'95 quadratrac tcase does not lock in low. '96 and up do.

My '95 w/V8,quadratrac,30" tires, 3.73 gears averages 18-20MPG...this is with K&N filter and custom exhaust. The '98 w/V8, quadratrac, 3.73 gets 15-18 completely stock. The '92 with I-6(136K), quadratrac, 3.54, stock tires still averages 20-22MPG.

Don't think you can get a V8 in 2wd. '93-'98 you can only get the V8 with the quadratrac tcase. Oh, actually I think the 5.9 limited might have come with a 242 select trac but not positive.

Go here: http://www.jeepsunlimited.com
There is a very good ZJ BBS up there.
'79 CJ-7
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 05:29 PM
JMZ
Journeyman

GO with the 6 . Its a great motor. I think you can get an 8 in 2-wheel drive .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode