360 / 3.73w 35" BFG's?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 08:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

360 / 3.73w 35\" BFG\'s??

I am in the process of buying/building a 78 CJ7. It has a 4"procomp lift with 2" shackles and a 3" body lift. It has a new 360, T176 Trans and 3.73 gears with Detroits on both ends. Currently it is running 33"boggers and I wanted to switch to 35" BFG muds. Is the a possibile combination? If not why, and would it be possible if I re-geared?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 09:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 360 / 3.73w 35\" BFG\'s??

The 3.73s with 35s is a good combo for highway gearing but offroad you may want a little more gear with the T176 tranny. I am running a T-18 with the same gears and tires and would still like a little more gear sometimes when in the rocks. Depends on what you do. It would be alright for mud or sand if you keep the revs up.

The Grim Jeeper!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 11:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think the 3.73s will be okay for you to run 35s...not the best crawl ratio off-road but do-able. What t-case is that attached to the t-176, I'm assuming its the D300 which in low will still give you decent crawlability.

On another note, I'd at least cut the body lift in half and go down to shorter shackles. Stock height shackles or a slightly longer than stock ought to improve the steering on that thing temendously.

Just my thoughts.
Shain

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 03:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I"m running 35's with 3.73's and a 350. I like them for all 'round use. I wouldn't want to tow with them, but it's nice to be able to cruise at 70 and not sweat the engine R's. Also, the 3.73's give me a pretty low driveshaft RPM which makes the u-joints last better. The other side of that is that there's more stress on the u-joint, so it's more likely to break. So far, so good, tho.

Jason '87YJ
(350/NP435/D300twinstick/SOA/GM14-FF-Detroit/D44-Lock-Right/M8274)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode