air pump we already have?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 07:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

air pump we already have??

Why do we not use a adaptor that screws in to a spark plug hole to use the engin as a air pump??? I carried one on a motorcycle for years for a backup
but never used it . I always worried about the air fuel that you where pumping
into the tire. Would it rot the tire or break it the tire down??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 07:51 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: air pump we already have??

I have a friend that pulls off the output side of his smog pump to air up his air mattress when he camps. It only takes a few seconds, and sure beats that stoopid foot pump he has. My tires usually wear out before they rot.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 10:14 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Now gregg......you have NOT been paying attention.....I went over this very carefully with Farmjeep not very long ago. Because of the way that the screw-in adapter is constructed, it does not get it's air from the intake manifold, but takes it in on the vented sides of the adapter. They only pump cool, clean, fresh air. Been there, done that. A 1935 Ford pickup was our ranch buggy and we used the spark plug pump frequently to air up a flat on a tractor or wagon. Gee, when we got that '35 it was twenty years old....the same as our 1980 FS GM is right now[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Interestingly enough, they make KITS to convert engines or just PORTIONS of engines to air compressors or vacuum pumps. We once had an air compressor that was a five-cylinder rotary engine like an airplane uses, and it had three cylinders as the engine and two for the compressor[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 11:51 AM
Addict

Now, CJDave, let's get our terminology straight [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. You mean radial engine. IIRC, Continental made a number of air-cooled radial engines for ground use, notably tanks and APU's. A rotary engine, otoh, is (forgetting for the moment rotary-piston (i.e. Wankel) engines ala RX-7) is one where the crankshaft is bolted to the firewall, and the entire engine (with propellor bolted directly to the crankcase) spins..... common in WWI aircraft.

-Dana

All power corrupts, but we need the electricity.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 12:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Yes, Dana....you are right. I looked at that term and my brain just farted.....I could NOT think of the corect name[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Yep, the famous LeRhone rotary was used in early crates, and yes, Shermans did come with the big radials. There was a restaurant up here that had a Wright (Or P&W) "Corncob" engine in the lobby......a cut-a-way engine.....four-row radial....what a setup! 28 jugs. You could get one of those, Dana, and use about fourteen cylinders for the air compressor and the rest for the power. You'd still have plenty left to move the Jeep, and when it came time to air-up you'd be everybody's friend[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 04:13 PM
Addict

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

.....four-row radial....what a setup! 28 jugs. You could get one of those, Dana, and use about fourteen cylinders for the air compressor and the rest for the power. You'd still have plenty left to move the Jeep.....

<hr></blockquote>

Yep, probably the ultimate piston engine..... ane the ultimate mechanic's nightmare. You could probably roll a Jeep at a dead stop on flat pavement just by flooring it, just from the torque!

I knew a guy who had a Cessna 195 with a radial, I forget which one. It had neat setup..... remove the cowling, pull two pins, and the entire engine swung out from the firewall for access to the carb and other accessories..... you didn't have to disconnect anything.

-Dana

Can a Cessna 150 truly "slip the surly bonds of Earth"?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 07:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry Dave must of miss that post. I have one of the spark plug deals at home. I bought form Old J.C. wit. Carryed it on the Motorcycle but never used it . Guess I should take it out of the bag and look at it . Bought it and a tire pluging kit for the bike's tubeless tires . Hard to carry a spare and just figered it be better than walking.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode