Help ! Anyone changed the pinion bearing on a Dana 44 ??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 04:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Help ! Anyone changed the pinion bearing on a Dana 44 ???

During the last month or so, we have been working on an OME lift spring install on my friend's '86 CJ7.
Springs are "heavy duty" Wrangler rear springs, used front & rear on the CJ.
We have made new shackle hangers, new shackles etc., etc ... (you get the idea..)

Anyway, last night we took it out for the first real drive, and suprise, we had some vibrations ...
I crawled under the Jeep, and took a good grip on the rear shaft.
The rear pinion is moving up/down & side-to-side and the U-joint is shot.

Here is the ?
To change the Pinion bearing(s), is it "only" necessary to remove nut & seal,
withdraw the pinion axle (taking *real* care of the shims), replace the bearing(s), put the shims on the pinion in correct order, new seal & torque the old nut to correct torque ......

Or is it neccessary to do a set-up of the gears, measuring deepth, backload, gear patterns etc., etc ....

The pinion is not leaking any oil (yet), but the trash-lock is shot.
Also, the driveshaft has a rather step angle (it's an 258", auto and D300)
If the vibrations doesn't go away with new bearings / U-joints, we'll probably drop the transfer 1", and see if that helps.

Oh, yes, the lift itself turned out rather good, we got about 3" (un-loaded) in the rear, and about 2" up front.
We'll move the front hangers forward (now in stock position) and uses some slightly longer shackles (the shackles are tilting to much, reducing the lift), to level it out.

And the drive is very smooooth (compared to mye 4" Pro-Comp lift...)

Any other info needed ??

Regards,
PerJ (From Norway)

<[email protected]>
Using self-discipline, see http://www.eiffel.com/discipline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 06:12 AM

Re: Help ! Anyone changed the pinion bearing on a Dana 44 ???

I just finished doing a gear swap last month with my 84 CJ-7 with a 44 rear, but actually your problem is commen to other axles, too
The pinion can only come out the back of the axle, and you definatly have to remove the carrier and shafts to do it.
However, you *might* be able to get away with just changing the outer pinion bearing, and retorqing the yoke, but there is a good chance the inner bearing is worn/damaged also, requires replacement

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 08:47 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: Help ! Anyone changed the pinion bearing on a Dana 44 ???

I have never done a pinion, so please take my opinion for whatever it's worth.

I would replace all the bearings and re-set up the rear end. The tolerances between pinion and ring gear are so close if you don't get it exactly right, it'll wear out and cause a lot of damage. The pinion bearing let go on the TJ rear axle (granted it was only a 35C) and caused the entire thing to have to be replaced, well, the housing is the same, but everything else was trashed (over $900 in parts and labor). In my opinion I would pay the $100 or whatever and have it done right, with all new bearings all the way around. If the new bearing and race aren't put in exactly the same spot, the shims in there now won't do you much good, the backlash will still be off and you will have defeated the purpose.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode