Brake work cost? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 10:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Brake work cost?

My brakes are shot. I know that, but not much else about brakes. I took my '84 CJ-7 to my neighborhood garage. They said that I need to replace the drums, replace the rotors, replace the calipers, and reseal the one of the of the axel seal. It only has about 66,000 miles on it, but I turned down the rotors and fixed another leak about four years ago, and the rear breaks havent't been grabbing at all, so I am not too surprised that they have to replace everything. I don't doubt that the work needs to be done. I just wonder about the $1,600 price tag for the work. Does that seem high to anybody else?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 10:41 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: Brake work cost?

That's a MAJOR rip off. They're trying to take you for a ride, big time.

IF (and that's a big IF), you do in fact need rotors and drums (highly unlikely, my drums have 235,000 miles on them and they're fine), get them afetrmarket and not through a dealer. I went to 4WD Hardware at http://www.4wd.com/4wd/default.asp and looked up some parts.

Brake drums $56.95 ea
Rotors $49.95 ea
Calipers $32.95 ea
Brake lines $46.95/pair
Brake line rear $28.95
Brake pads $18.95/set
Brake shoes $24.99/set
Brake hardware kit $10.99
Hayne's manual $12.99

So that adds up to $423.52 for everything, provided you need everything, which I doubt. You may be able to find it cheaper at NAPA or Autozone or another local store.

The rear seal is about $6 and will take another $20 or so to replace using a press. So you're looking at about $50 total, and maybe 4-8 hours of your time, which is just a Saturday.

I'd have someone closer that knows jeeps take a look at it. It'd be a shame to be ripped off that much money. I'm betting you're actually looking at $150 as your parts aren't that bad. Now if they said they'd buy and swap in a D44 front and also do your brakes, it'd be worth it.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 10:57 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Jeepn is right. 1600 is way out of line. Take it to someone who will not yank you chain like that. And I would tell everyone you know to never go there for anything.

91 YJ swaped in 4.0L 2 inch lift.
"Because there is no reason not to"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 11:14 AM

I rebuilt my WHOLE brake system less the hardlines, proportioning valve, and booster. Did most of it through Advanced Auto parts. My parts were a bit cheaper than JEEPN posted, with the exception of drums, rotors, and shoes/pads. Spring for the Bendix ones that have lifetime warranty, you'll never buy another set.

I would agree on the DIY aspect. When I did mine, I was a neophyte, and it is shockingly easy. My only suggestion is that you only do one side at a time, so when you forget how to put it all back together, you have an example to look at.

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 11:20 AM
Way Outta Control

Scott, RipOff? Nope, it's not. These guys have mouths to feed, shop space to rent/pay for, business lisences to pay for, taxes, inventory, tools, rags, chemicals, recycle fees, insurance, and the list goes on, and on, and on. In the end you are the one who pays for all that stuff.

They will charge you almost double on the parts to make up for some of the labor overcharges they may have to eat. As example, you're accross the State from me... and we both suffer from rust. Those parts on the brakes are rusted together and it's going to take some tools to get them off. There's the easy way (torch... and burn a lot of fluid) or the hard way with a grinder/cutoff wheel and a set of air tools.

Since you don't know much about brakes you're at their mercy because they learned something you didn't. Mark Twain once said: "All men are ignorant, just on differnt subjects." Me, I can tell you anything about plants... it's my weak point... so I don't eat anything I can't identify... and in the bush pass up a lot of tasty stuff. So if I want to eat better while on the trail I could easily learn about the edible plants in my area or go with some more exerienced in local lore. Soon I'd be gettin' fat n those 12 mile hikes.

Well, it's no different with you... you pay a price for ignorance. If you want to learn how to save a whole lot of money.... do the job yourself.

Buy a Manual.
Have a Buddy who's done the Job help.
Buy the tools.
Buy the parts.
Join a local 4X4 Club and get to know others who've been where you walked.

Heck you could save enough on this brake job alone to buy another Jeep, or two. Now if you're cheap, like me you'll do the job yourself. As for being smart enough to do the job right.... you're at the right place.... just ask and you'll get about 7 responses all full of good advice. You've just got to be smart enough to implement the advise.

I've got an article on DIY CJ brake jobs some where... if you want it let me know and I'll email it. Otherwise....we're all glad to help anyway we can. All you have to do is ask.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 12:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I can't really comment on if it is a rip off or not, the only way to know would be to get other estimates. I just got done doing the rear brakes on my jeep, it was fun but it wasn't hard either. I bought new shoes and drums, I also had to add the cable which adjusts the brakes (no telling how long that has been missing). I bought my drums at Napa they were $60 a piece, I think advanced auto may carry some cheaper ones, maybe $40 a piece. As far as the axle seal goes they are a pain to me, because I am lacking proper tools. I can give you this advice, don't wait to long to do it, I had one go and it ended up ruining the axle bearing, which ended up ruining the axle whixh incresed the cost a lot, also it took a torch to get the nut off of the axle that holds the hub on (2 piece axles), all in all if I were not at my uncles I would have been screwed as I don't have a bunch of special tools at home. All that to say brakes are easy, the axle seal I didn't have good luck on, probably my lack f maintanence and not fixing it sooner.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode