What to look for in a trailer? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 08:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

What to look for in a trailer?

Hey all,

I am looking to purchase a trailer for my CJ. I just got a blazer for a tow vehicle. What types of things should I look for in a trailer besides the normal like brakes, lights, etc?

I have a friend who happens to build car trailers. Does anybody have any opinions on homemade trailers? This guy has built a bunch of them and have sold them. Take a look at this picture.. he sold this one for $800.

Thanks for your input.

84CJ7 SOA,35's,OnboardAir,Dual winches,Full Cage,Snorkels, and more
OverMost 4WD Club
JerseyWheelers Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 09:08 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: What to look for in a trailer?

If you have the time and tools a really good deal for trailers is to buy a kit and build your own. Often at large home improvment places they sell kits. You get everything you need, all you have to do is put it together. You end up savign a lot of money. Just make sure that you get one that is big enough. Good luck.

91 YJ swaped in 4.0L 2 inch lift.
"Because there is no reason not to"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 09:25 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Here is my trailer with the jag on it, towed by my F250. (I use it for the Jeep also).

My opinion is that you would like brakes on both axles. Also, on the construction of it -- the side beams of my trailer go up to the front, and bend in on each side, and meet at the hitch. i.e., the sides are all one piece from the back right to the hitch, not separate pieces welded together where the traingle meets the main portion of the trailer. I like this design.

My ramps slide into the back also. Some guys have to throw them into the beds of their trucks.

I also prefer a metal top trailer, not wooden. Less maintenance.

Good luck
Pete

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jeep_macgyver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 09:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

here is the picture of the trailer..

OverMost 4WD Club
JerseyWheelers Club
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-509370-trailor1.jpg (32.5 KB, 0 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 09:39 AM

I just bought a Big Tex 16x6.5 car hauler[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]. It came with 4 brand new radial trailer tires, brakes on both axles(makes a big difference, trust me) breakaway, 2" bulldog coupling, tongue jack, treated wood deck and is painted and undercoated. It is made out of oversize angle and rated at 7000gvw. I had them put the ramps so they slide out the back (no beaver tail) I paid $1400. This was a really good deal since many of the used trailers I looked at needed work. Many of the trailers in this price range come with used (car) tires and are more a "utility" type trailer, that have inadequate ramps and decks and are not painted underneath. Big Tex's web site is http://www.bigtextrailers.com The 70CH is a new trailer they just came out with and is not on their site yet. I attached a pic of the trailer, mine is black, with modular wheels.

Lugnut 77 cj5
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-509379-60ch_lg.jpg (9.3 KB, 0 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 07:45 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] That is a fine trailer there Jersey Guy. Simple and lightweight. I would have gone with dropped axles to get that Jeep a bit lower, but that's just me. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks run by Moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img], buildin' the ultimate SNOJEEP!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 07:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, your right Dave. If he builds a trailer for me I am going to request that the trailer is a little lower. Maybe even change the dove tails a bit so they aren't as steep so that other types of cars or something would be able to drive up...

OverMost 4WD Club
JerseyWheelers Club
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 11:33 PM

I would consider the trailer we have a multi purpose trailer, but it is definitely built heavy enough to haul cars, jeeps, trucks, etc.
It is an 18 foot flatbed w/ a wood deck.
Has brakes on the rear axle and this has been plenty for us (we just hauled a 5700 lb. M-37 from Arizona to Texas).
One thing I like on our trailer over others is it has rails around the edge the height of the fenders.
Speaking of the fenders, they are made of 3/16" diamond plate, so you can walk on them with no worries.
The trailer is rated to haul 7500 lbs. and was made by a company in Kempner, TX called Kempner trailers.
I think the grand total was around $2,000, and it was well worth it.
This trailer has carried a Bobcat front end loader if you know what that is.
They look light weight but they weigh about 6500 to 7000 lbs.

Anyway, if I were you, and I was looking for a jeep trailer I would get one without the dove tail on the rear to help prevent dragging the ground on dirt roads.
Your jeep should have plenty of clearance to get over that crest between the ramps and trailer deck.
We hauled a Fiero on ours the other day and it had no trouble with it either.
Price is definitely an issue, so go with the best you can afford, but try not to skimp on the axles.
Definitely get a tandem axle trailer with at least 3500 lb. axles.
This way you shouldn't have to worry about weight issues.
Hope this helps.
Take care and have a good day.

TX 4X4 club Arlington Chapter
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 11:35 PM

I would consider the trailer we have a multi purpose trailer, but it is definitely built heavy enough to haul cars, jeeps, trucks, etc.
It is an 18 foot flatbed w/ a wood deck.
Has brakes on the rear axle and this has been plenty for us (we just hauled a 5700 lb. M-37 from Arizona to Texas).
One thing I like on our trailer over others is it has rails around the edge the height of the fenders.
Speaking of the fenders, they are made of 3/16" diamond plate, so you can walk on them with no worries.
The trailer is rated to haul 7500 lbs. and was made by a company in Kempner, TX called Kempner trailers.
I think the grand total was around $2,000, and it was well worth it.
This trailer has carried a Bobcat front end loader if you know what that is.
They look light weight but they weigh about 6500 to 7000 lbs.

Anyway, if I were you, and I was looking for a jeep trailer I would get one without the dove tail on the rear to help prevent dragging the ground on dirt roads.
Your jeep should have plenty of clearance to get over that crest between the ramps and trailer deck.
We hauled a Fiero on ours the other day and it had no trouble with it either.
Price is definitely an issue, so go with the best you can afford, but try not to skimp on the axles.
Definitely get a tandem axle trailer with at least 3500 lb. axles.
This way you shouldn't have to worry about weight issues.
Here is a pic of the trailer with the "BEHEMOTH" on it.
Hope this helps.
Take care and have a good day.

TX 4X4 club Arlington Chapter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-512379-M-37driver.jpg (27.4 KB, 0 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 12:58 AM

If I parked somthing like that in my driveway, I'd get asked by the Municipality and by-law to get rid of it.

Do you think insurance will cover the carb if it some how "teleports" behind the tires of a 350 with dualies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode