ot engine problems with Camry - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 04:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ot engine problems with Camry

I just looking for some feedback on this one.My 98 Camry is at the dealer.They found no compression on all cylinders.Right now it has 66,000 miles.At 58,000 the water pump locked up and broke the timing belt. The engine sounded like it was flying apart when this happened and got real hot.Toyota fixed[under warranty] and said the engine is ok.Now they want to charge for a new engine[warranty good to 60,000 miles].I say no they should pay,because I think something may have happened when timing belt broke and engine got hot and is showing up now.Manager won't be in untill tomorrow.He is suppose to call Toyota.Thought I would throw this out there and see what you all think.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 05:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: ot engine problems with Camry

...probably overheated the block and cracked 1 or both the compression rings in all 4 cylendars and after a few hundred miles the movement of the pistons has opened the cracks in the rings and now have no compression...import motors(Toyota-Lexus, Isuzu and Honda) has a very tight tolerances on there motors, a little heat inside there can easily cause some damage. I did that to a car of mine, overheated the motor, and I did not notice the temputure rise due to a IDIOT light...needless to say when I pulled the motor the three pistons that had no compression had cracks in them and the ends were ground down due the constant vibration from normal 4 cycle movement.

Mark Lang- Langmotorsports(Business)
1977 CJ7, 4" lift, 33's, 460 Ford, C6, NP205, glass tub
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 05:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

DO NOT let them charge you for a motor, since it is obvious that it was fried before and they did not admit it. The warranty laws of this country are set up to prevent this. Sue them, and you will win. Problems that are caused by a warranty item failing/being fixed have to be fixed even after the warranty period is up. Make them put in a new motor, and don't let them rebuild the warped one they ruined.
Good luck,
Josiah

Hillsboro, OR
1955 Willys CJ5 Buick 225 V6 160HP 270ft-lbs, T90 trans, Warn OD, PTO winch, Spicer 18 T Case, RS9000's, Dana 25F/ 44R,
5.38:1 gears, 11" brakes, Bestop Supertop, Hurculiner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 06:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the input.I didn't think I was wrong in my thinking.The service guy didn't consider doing the right thing.Just told me what a used engine would cost.I told him before I had it towed there I thought it had something do with the first problem.You can tell when it turns over the engine has no compression.Must be the American Way, you have to fight and argue to get what you deserve.I just don't like being taken advantage of[especially dealers].If I had alot of money I probably wouldn't say anything,just pay the man. I'm a Jeep owner,so guess where my money goes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode