auto tranny probs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 12:26 PM
HO92YJ

auto tranny probs

while out wheeling this pass weekend, i was flexed up pretty good, and when i got out to see what it looked like i noticed tranny fluid pouring out. i shut her off, got towed to flat ground, and started up. nothing was coming out. i checked and filled it. but now, it doesn't shift into the gears by itself. at a stop, i have to put it into 1st, and go to second, then drive. and sometimes it doesn't shift then, when it does, it isn't too smooth. any thoughts on what my prob could be? ive been checking the level, and its good, nice and cherry in color, and no funny smells. thanks in advance. its for a 92yj 4.0 auto trans

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 01:30 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: auto tranny probs

Well Stranger Joe, fill out your profile.

Usually a transmission that has foward and reverse gears when manually changed to those gears has adquate pump pressure and band adjustment. I'd be looking at the valve body, perhaps a clog. The other point I'd like to know about is why it was leaking and where did the leak occur from.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 04:11 PM

if its the factory trans I think its a 32rh, or some other such Cyhryco designation, very similar to a TF904.

if thats the case the vent is located right behind the torque converter in teh front of the tranny, so if it was leaking out the bottom of hte bellhousing/inspection plate then thats your culprit.

if it leaked, and now drives funny, and you say the level is fine, was it overfilled to begin with?

or have you refilled the amount that leaked out?

usually idlingneutral while hot ( after a city drive) I think is the gig for a tf trans fluid check ( I think)

OzarkJeep

"Bare foot girls, dancing in the moon light..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 10:35 AM
HO92YJ

the leak was coming out of the bottom of the bell housing. i have no idea what caused this leak, i was sorta hoping someone on here might have had a similar experience. right after i got onto flat ground, the level was way overfull, but then i drove around and the level was low. so i filled it up, and now its staying at full. hopefully next week i can take it to the garage, after i get my other car back. any other thoughts?

'92 YJ: 4.0 auto, 3.5" rusty's lift, 1" body, MORE greasable shackles(boomerangs in rear) K&N, rusty's hi-flow cat, 33"thornbirds
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 12:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

When you went out and wheeled did you go thru any deep water?? If so then you may have water in the tranny which is displacing the fluid. The vent hole on a TF auto tranny is behind the torque converter, if that is where the fluid is actually coming from then I would drop the pan and change the filter and fluid before it hurts anything. Another thing to think about is the shaft seal where the output shaft comes out of the tranny and into the converter, if this seal is leaking then that also could be where the fluid is coming from.
Hope this gives you a starting place.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 01:27 PM
Mud in my Veins

An overheated tranny will "boil" the ATF and cause it to bleed out thru the overflow. Especially if you don't have a tranny cooler. You did buy that option, right?
Only cost my brother $2500 to replace his tranny (didn't buy off on the cooler option, but did have extended warranty).

Caver Dave
Vintage Jeeps(ters) have Character,
new Jeeps just have payments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode