Wheel bearign removal - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 03:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wheel bearign removal

i have a 92 jeep wrangler i'm doing the rear wheel bearings on and i'm trying to get them out wiht out the bearing removal tool mentioned in the hayes manual can it be done what i have tryed so far was a piece of flat stock with the ends radiused to the radius of hte tube then a slot cut in the center with a bolt going through it to my slide hammer but i cant get them to budge do i NEED the special tool??

TugBoat Proud owner of a 1992 JEEP Wrangler YJ
4Cyl 2.5L w/ 5 speed manual tranny
totaly stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 04:12 PM

Re: Wheel bearign removal

Sorry to burst your bubble, but those things aren't comming off with no piddly slide hammer. Somewhere during this operation, you will need a press.

I think somebody here had a little easier method of getting them off though, saw a write up on a web page a while back, if anybody remembers, please post it.

1) Take a grinder or dremel tool, cut the outer cage for the bearing. This is fairly easy. Just cut the collar and peal it back.

2) Once the outer collar and and rollers have been removed, and this will leave you with only the inner collar.

3) Score the inner collar with the grinder/dremel, about 1/2 through the material, being CAREFUL not to touch the shaft with the cutting tool.

4) Take a hammer/chisel and hit the score to part the remaining collar.

You will need a press to put on the new bearings. I would suggest heating (boiling works well) them prior to pressing them as it will make things go easier.

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 04:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

sorry i should have been a little more specific my 92 has a 35c which has the clips adn the bering isn't pressed on the shaft it is in the axle tube anyoen have any help??

totaly stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 05:25 PM
Official Historian

Do you have an Autozone near you? For a deposit, they will loan you the bearing slide hammer with 3 jsws. Take the tool back and get your deposit back.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 10:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

well i went and got the tool from autozone after about 2 hours neither would come out so my brother gives me some last chance advice GRAB A FIREXTINGUSHER and the welder turn the welder way up and weld a bead along the inside (center curcular most edge) outer most part of the race now this didn't totaly fix the problem so he sez cut the buttom weld it just enough to make a cross cut on it dont' touch the tube that part being liquid for a second released all the presure used the tool and it came right out brother sez grampa taught him that one man i wish i would have been a little older when grandpa was still around so i could have learned this [censored] too.

hope this helps someone out sometime oh and if you have any doubt in yoru stick welding skills DONT DO IT

totaly stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode