CJ Dana 30 Axle freshen up - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

CJ Dana 30 Axle freshen up

OK, so I got the new gears and lockers installed. But when I talked to the mechanic (who VERY much impressed me), he showed me that my ball joints were shot on one side, and the front axle u-joints were shot (would only flex in one direction, which I wasn't even aware of). Now he changed the joints for free, and he offered to do the balljoints at a reasonable price, but I wanted my Jeep back so I opted to do them myself.
The venture began with a trip to see Gene at Turner 4WD, for my ususal shopping method, (open FSM flip to mechanical drawing and say "I need everything between here and here."). Then I continued to AutoZone to pickup the Ball-joint press.

I decided that if I was going to pull balljoints, I would do all 4 at one shot, since they were probably the originals on the thing from 1983.

Pulling this thing apart was a nightmare, even using an impact setup with 380ft/lbs of torque, I couldn't get these suckers to budge! By this time it was 1:00AM, so I gave up, packed everything up and dropped it at NAPA's machine shop during lunch. $50 dollars, an hour, and no fuss later I got my stuff back, installed, and ready to go.

Now, I'm a big fan of preventative maintenance, so while I had all this stuff apart, I also replaced all 4 tie rod ends as well. So now I have spares, and the steering is MUCH tighter than before (didn't thing that was possible), and I KNOW it's all sound equipment.

All in all it was a real PITA, but I look at it as a worthy investment in better steering/road performance, and reliablility. If you haven't checked them lately, I would highly recommend taking some time and looking over your front axles from the inside out. What you find might surprise you.

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 03:07 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: CJ Dana 30 Axle freshen up

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] You've got the right idea there DoubleBeeman, as long as it's apart, GO THE ROUTE. Ball joints are a bitch, and many take as much as 500 pounds of torque. We are going to be doing our model 30 in September, and we JUST DID the Dana 60 under our FS GM 3/4T. We basiscally went bumper to bumper on the GM and freshened EVERYTHING![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks run by Moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img], buildin' the ultimate SNOJEEP!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 12:46 AM

Re: CJ Dana 30 Axle freshen up

Yeah, you hear these guys a cry'n about how squirrely their Jeeps are, yet they are riding on 25-30 year old steering joints ... go figger ...

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode