Electric fans????? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 05:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Electric fans?????

I was thinking of running an electric fan with my 258. I see they make a large single or a double fan. Which one is better? Are electric fans really worth it?

Just wanted to see what experience you guys have had with these .
Thanks!!!!

Edder

Do you smell that?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 06:08 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Electric fans?????

Do a search here for more info. When your cruising down the road say at least 50 mph you don't need a fan. There is enough airflow to cool things down. Now get in stop and go traffic or rock crawling and the stock 4 blade or even the fan clutch/bigger mechanical fan might not cool it. Now what about water crossings? I think the biggest problem is the mechanical fan throwing water around the engine compartment and it getting into where it shouldn't. An electrical fan can be turned off with a switch and turned back on after playing submarine. If you get one from a junk yard....er automotive recycling center, see that the vehicle it comes off of has at least the same size engine as you have. Fans are rated in there volumes of air and you know damn well that Major Motors Corp. is not going to put a bigger one on than they need. Also always use a shroud.

Huh?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 07:05 AM

check out the junk yard! I pulled about 4 fans with a friend of mine from the yard. The one we ended up going with was from a celebrity car! That thing put out some major flow, and drew about 20Amps.
Electric fans are the way to go, just flip a switch before the mud holes and you don't have to worry about covering your engine.
big ed

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Big Ed
<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,35's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 10:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am running 2 13" electrics from Speedway Motors. This seems to cover more of the radiator than one larger fan. I have the 258 and it does not allow for much room between the water pump and radiator. Most other oem electric fans are too thick to fit. ie. a citation v-6 electric fan works great for jeeps running V-8s but wont work on the straight 6. I have them mounted in the pull configuration w/ a thermostatic switch to turn them on when temp reaches around 190, and a toggle to shut it off for water crossing and such. It works great and didnt cost half of what they want for the flew-a-lite dual fan assembly for jeeps.
good luck,
jeremy

80 CJ-7 w/ most of the goodies, all custom
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 12:13 PM

My jeep behaves just the opposite. My mechanical fans pulls enough air at slow speed, even rockcrawling, but my temp gauge starts to climb on the highway. My 8274 is to blame, but I need better cooling at highway speeds. I think I might swap in a 3 row rad, but am afraid that will put the fins dangerously close to the fan.
Bob in MA

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 04:48 PM
Enthusiast

I'm 5 days away from getting my Flex-a-lite dual fan setup for my CJ. Once it's in, I'll give a report on how it works.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 09:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I installed a 2 fan assy from a 98' Ford contour on my CJ-5. It fits perfectly from side to side. I just had to trim the bottom of the shroud 1-2" with a band saw. This thing pulled some serious air when it kicked on and had no problem cooling my 258. The only problem is the current draw. I measured it at 35-40 amps. My alternator couldn't keep up at idle with the headlamps on. I decided to put back in the old mech fan for now. I think I would sell it if someone wants it... I have extra motors and blades too. All relay connectors and thermostatic switch. Email me if anyone wants it.

-carl

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 11:25 PM

There's a guy on Ebay that sells rewound high output (100-180 amp) alternators pretty cheaply, like from $50 and up. Even the 100 amp would cover the addition of the fan since the stock is around 65 amp. He seems to have plenty of good feedback. I bought one, it works, but it'll be a few months before I get to give it an extensive tryout.

Rick -- 80s CJ7, under construction since June
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 05:20 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] That fan setup sounds like something that we might like to have, Carl-of-the-CJ5. Shoot us an e-mail as to the details on cost and shipping.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][email protected]

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks run by Moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img], buildin' the ultimate SNOJEEP!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 06:25 AM
Enthusiast

Hey another electric fan that I have been watching the junkyards for is a 1994, or 1995 Ford Taurus electric fan. I was replacing the parents and set the plastic shroud/fan on the radiator and it was almost perfect fit.
- Its a big 2 speed electric fan and seems to push alot more air because of the need for AC cooling...

Just havn't found one yet...

Luke
http://www.cj7jeep.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode