Got axle wrap. Traction bar or more leafs? - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 08:24 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Got axle wrap. Traction bar or more leafs?

Oh, come on Kutyafal [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Have some fun. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Sorry, I guess I'm not in a serious mood today. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I imagine an added leaf would get you by for a while, as was said at the expense of some flex. A full-lengh leaf would help best, I imagine.

Good luck!
Pete

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jeep_macgyver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 09:17 AM

Gad, Pete, that was priceless!! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

OK, Tibor ... serious now ...
Go to the POR site http://www.pirate4x4.com Bulletin Boards/General 4X4 Discussion/ ... and look for a recent mile long thread that starts "God of Suspension ..."
If there is a 'best soulution' out there ... that's where you'll find it...
Good luck! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #13 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 09:23 AM
Mud in my Veins

Yeah Jaffer, your right. My buds doesn't flex at all with the trac bars[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img], but there's _no_ axle wrap. Probably used Photoshop to doctor the pic. Maybe I'll convert back to SUA.

Caver Dave
Vintage Jeeps(ters) have Character,
new Jeeps just have payments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-507677-flex.jpg (44.5 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 01:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have one full length aal on my SOA and as you saw it flexes pretty good and rides much better than any sua I've rode in.I've had no axle wrap even with my 350/nv4500 combo.88YJ needs to look at a SOA done right then look at then decide if it is worth the 1200.00 I spent on it including SYE kit and a CV driveshaft.rh

87 YJ 350,nv4500 trans,SOA,35-12.50 BFG MT'S
post #15 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Hey Rock-Hog. Pictures of your rig? I'm thinking of doing the one leaf for now so I won't break anything right away. How are the clamps attached to the springs usually? I have two clamps fore and aft on each spring pack. Are they riveted to the bottom leaf? I'd like to know before I'm opening things up. Here's a pic: http://webphotos.com/member/7612/247558.JPG

'91 YJ w/stuff, http://members.home.net/t.molnar
post #16 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 09:44 PM

hey man, i gotta be honest with you i made a bar just like sam's with the stock track bars, but i put that on the 12 bolt i fist swapped when i went to the 14 bolt i had just read the jp article, so i tried that. i got about 1.5 " more of lift and it rides well, the only limiting factor with the flex i've seen so far is the shocks, i've broken two rancho's on the front, but if it wraps i cant tell when i air the boggers down to about 10 psi, on the asphalt i can lift the front tires off the ground in second with the 205 in low now i only run a 3.73 rear so i don't have a huge crawl ratio but if it'll lift the front off the ground then that tells me its workin, anyway the sam's nock off bar worked and didnt seem to hinder flex, but for now i see no reason to put it on. soggysod

if it aint broke, break it so you can learn to fix it
post #17 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Hey soggy, slow down a little! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] You only had like two periods in the hole paragraph! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Anyway, what exactly do you mean about the JP article? What was in it? So you made the Sam's style traction bar but what are you using now? Extra leafs? Thanks man and watch that coffee. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

post #18 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 08:16 AM
Keyboard Implanted

mine is identical to 3/4tonyj's and it works well..
i have had 2 problems though...
1. i over flexed it last time out and then gunned it hard trying to get up a ledge. it flexed far enough where the shackle in the front bottomed out and the entire axle got shifted, almost tore right out..it dragged the spring plates over the centering pins in the springs... i was wondering why it was so hard to drive straight
2. i have torn the mount off the skid pan... coulda been chaulked up to poor welding....
kuty...............this paragraph has enough...... periods for all of the......posts in this thread........

~~Elusive~~
http://www.jeepgod.net
post #19 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 08:34 AM
Pooh-Bah

The JP article that many of have referred to and tried is the following procedure;
1- get another set of YJ springs and disassemble,
2- take the main leaf and cut the eyes of each end,
3- insert this leaf between your main and second leaf of the packs you are using,
4- take the second leaf from the donor pack, and put this on top of your current main leaf,
5- rebend the spring clamps back down
I did it using some cut down Wagoneer springs so I could run the long side up front (offset centering pin)in hopes to get even more control, the system helped, but didn't totally eliminate it.

<font color=blue>pbm</font color=blue>

ROLLED The 74 CJ5, so I am now building a 78 CJ7

<font color=red>Support Search and Rescue.......Get Lost!</font color=red> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
post #20 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks for the JP info. I have an old 4" lift pack from my buddy so I'll use the full length leaf that's under the main leaf from it and see how it works. It doesn't have to be perfect for now just as long as it helps a little. Which issue of JP was this article in? Any chance of a copy or fax of this from somebody? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode