wiring in solonoid - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

wiring in solonoid

this is a 88 wrangler. alright im at the wiring part! on my old relay there are 3 green wires, where they go? one is disconnected. the other goes under to the transfer and one goes up the loom. On the solenoid I want to replace this with from a cj there is a blue and red wire in the front. the blue goes to the fusebox and the red goes to the coil +. Now that I want to put this in my wrangler I beleive the green wire that goes up the loom will pass as the blue (probally ignition) then I just cut the coil power now and run the red line from the solenoid to it. Does this seem like it will work?

Jeeps are Built not Bought
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 12:40 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: wiring in solonoid

Common Guys... SOMEONE out there's gott have a YJ schmetaic scanned they can email me... here's another Jeeper I can't help....[sad]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 01:05 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Yikes, sorry LEVE. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

My 88YJ is right outside my office -- I'll help if I can.

Are you talking about the starter solenoid? There's only one wire that goes to it. It engages the solenoid (mounted on the starter), which then sends the positive battery connection to the starter motor. Obviously, the postive batter cable connects on the solenoid also.

If you can explain more clearly what it is you need, I can try to help. You confused me with the transfer case. Are you talking vacuum lines????

Pete

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jeep_macgyver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 01:51 PM

I beleive he is talking about the starter relay and the wires going to the transfer case are are is the neutral start switch. Now there should be four wires going to the relay, you said three but I think you are not counting the one that goes to the starter selenoid. The solid green wire that goes into the loom is 12v in the start position, Black with a white stripe goes to neutral start switch(which goes to the tranny not the transfer case) I am betting that the one that is disconected is green with a whites stripe, it feed power to the coil in start and is there to bypass the resistor wire when you start the engine. I am also betting that if you meter out your coil you will have 8 to 9 volts all the time when you are suppost to have 12 when starting and 8 when running. If you ant a better explanation of the resistor wire ask Leve, He can explain it a lot better that I could. I am not sure how you would go about puting a Cj starting system on because I really havent had or even seen how on a Cj works. Hope this make sense and that it helps.

Oh a hope you can understand what I wrote, my typing skills are pritty horrible!!
88 YJ:4.2 I6 TR upgrade and MC2100
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Right on YJ_88! ALright first you are right the green wire with a white stripe of the starter relay is disconnected. So it goes to the coil? Well I have an excel coil now and infact there is no resistor, so indeed it might be getting a 12 volt all the time? Anyhow what I did was connect the solid green wire (12v in start) to the wire that went down to my solonoid which mounts on the starter. This was my way to bypass the relay which I thought was bad.

The main problem I was that was occuring after the jeep sat for a while it would turn over, started like 90% of the way.
However now by taking those wires off the starter relay would it affect my alternator charging?? It seems that either my alternator died or by pulling the 2 wires off the relay and connecting them it isn't charging. So when we got the meter out my battery was at like 12.4 thinking that the starter was starving the coil.

1. DID those relay wires affect the charing of altenator?
2. Can I leave the wires directly connected?
3. What do I do about the green/white wire and coil resistor?
4. WHat should I do!!!!
thanks a lot for the help Mike

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

also what do the 2 relays mounted on the side of the battery tray by the testing unit do? Do they have to do with the ignition?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode