lift kit to buy - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 07:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

lift kit to buy

I own a 79 CJ-7. It is a six with stock 6 leaf springs all around, with the pass. rear drooping. I am getting ready to buy a mild lift. Wife doesn't want any or much. I don't really 4 wheel that much, but would like to be able if needed. The leading canidate to buy right now is a superlift 1" and maybe 1" lift shackles. I probably have about $700.00 to spend. What would you guys recommend? should I shoot for a 2.5"? Do the extended shackles stress the leaves? anybody know a websight that shows a jeep with 2.5" of lift so I can show my wife its not gonzo looking? Any help appreciated, I don't know many jeepers in Mississippi that I can look to for advice. I feel so alone on this important decision! thanks StevenCJTJ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 07:44 AM
Addict

Re: lift kit to buy

Your best bet is a 2.5" suspension lift. You might want to look into BDS, Superlift or Skyjacker. They have good quality kits at a reasonable price. I'm personally looking at BDS when I'm ready to lift mine.

"We're gonna need a bigger boat." --Jaws
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 09:37 AM

Go to Ebay http://www.ebaymotors.com. There are usually a couple dozen CJ's listed in various states of lift. Tire size is just as important as lift, since each 2" increase in tire size makes the jeep sit 1" higher.

We went through the same thing, wife didn't want "too tall". This condition is known as monstertruckphobia [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. Looked at lots of pics. It's hard to judge from pics. Some stock jeeps look tall, some lifted jeeps look small.

One day we were out and happened to see a stock TJ next to a moderately lifted CJ with 32-33" tires. Wife immediately agreed larger tires and a good lift are a must.

2.5"-3" lift is a good size for a daily driver -- not too tall but still giving you room for decent tires. 2-1/2" springs and 1/2" shackles give a respectable 3" total. Definately do-able for under $700.

I wanted to keep 35" tires an option someday, so ended up with 4" BDS springs, 1/2" shackle, and the Daystar 1" body mounts. That way I can run 33's now, then in the future (after axles) trim fenders to fit 35's.

Jack the jeep up a couple inches on one side and let the wife see if it's "too tall". If she thinks it is, order the springs anyway and find a doctor in your area that treats monstertruckphobia.

Rick -- 80s CJ7, under construction since June
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 07:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks for the info. will check ebay, and hadn't thought about the BDS brand, will look into it. Will check yellowpages for Doc who cures monstertruckaphobia! steven

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 08:51 AM

I will recomend the BDS lift, you cannot beat the warranty, and rides just as good as a SJ or SR lift. My buddy has the 2.5 on his CJ and it rides and flexes great. His buddy has the 4" and it works very well, rides a bit stiff though. I like YJ springs, little lower and flexes great.

85 CJ7, 258 Nuttered, SRS, 2"YJ BDS, $100 paint job
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 04:20 PM

I recomend a 3"Sus, 2"body, and a SOA, 42's or so, You won't be satisfied without.

Do you think insurance will cover the carb if it some how "teleports" behind the tires of a 350 with dualies?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 12:41 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Inferno is just about right. But here's what I'd do. Go with some 4" lift springs, SOA of course! Then get some 1 1/2" life shackles. Next up set her up with a 3" body lift and MASSIVE trimming. You should probably be able to fit 44's on there. And don't worry about upgrading the drivetrain. I'm sure your stock axles will hold up fine. And 3.07's or so would be just about right!

Now search friendly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode