Can't get knuckles on - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Can\'t get knuckles on

Well it came time to put the passenger-side knuckle on my D44. There's one tiny problem. I'm suppose to tighten the bottom nut to 50ft/lbs. But I can't get it to go anywhere. It'll thread part-way down, then the ballstud starts rotating with it. What could be causing this? And how can I fix it? The top balljoint doesn't appear to be seated ALL the way down. But it won't budge. I actually think I dent the crap out of it when I hammered it in I used a piece of pipe over it, so don't think I was just beating it. My press isn't tall enough to get the upper balljoint. Only the lower. I'm almost temptet to go get a new set of f-ing balljoints and make sure they go in PERFECT! I even had to remove the damn steering arm to get another shot at the upper balljoint. Do I need new nuts and washers, or can I reuse those ones? Thanks!

Now search friendly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 04:54 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Can\'t get knuckles on

you should be able to get a nut on the top one.. tighten that one... then the bottom.. then top.. then bottom... work back an forth.. this will snug them in enough for you to tighten them to the recommended foot pounds..
the ball joint should be alright.. i put mine in with a pipe..and beat the tar out of it.. and its fine.. as long as the opening for the stud is still round.. you should be fine..

http://www.jeepgod.net

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 07:41 AM
Keyboard Implanted

try getting your hands on a big C clamp and tighten her down on the knuckle. That will help pull it together. If you cant find a clamp that will fit maybe one of the wood clamps with the long pipe on it will work. Also make sure you dont have the jam nut down to far. You only want to have that started in the threads.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 07:46 AM
Official Historian

I just put a jack under the knuckle and put enough pressure on it to keep the ball stud from rotating.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

That would work great, except for one thing. My front's not attached to anything. So if I put a jack under it, then the WHOLE thing lifts[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Now search friendly!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 06:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

All I did is tightened up to top alittle, then the stud didn't turn. the jack worked for me, on the other side. Mine isn't on a jeep either. you don't need much tension on it.

JR
Everyone has to believe in something, I believe I'll have more lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode