304 Intake Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

304 Intake Question

Just wondering if anyone is running a late model 304 intake? The one with the 2 holes straight down the bore? Are they supposed to be plugged or something?
What's the deal with this hooey crap? Gas from the carb falls into the holes and puddles up below the runners. How's it supposed to get into the runners and to the cylinders? Sorry if I seem a little miffed, just don't understand the technology. My response: "Only in a Jeep!"

Caver Dave
Vintage Jeeps(ters) have Character,
new Jeeps just have payments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 06:25 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: 304 Intake Question

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Heh heh heh....those are the ports for the Exhaust Gas Recirculator system. Exhaust comes up OUT of those holes and mixes with the incoming air charge to reduce smog so that way more cars can be on the road at the same time and not kill everyone from too many deadly emissions. Of course the traffic isn't MOVING, but that's only a minor detail.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks run by Moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img], buildin' the ultimate SNOJEEP!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

OK, but why is most (just about ALL) the gas falling into those holes and not getting dispersed to the cylinders. Heads are fresh, new gaskets, good compression, etc. I had to use an early model intake (no flippin holes!) just to get it to run! The late model had several cups of gas in the chamber under the holes when removed. What gives?

Caver Dave
Vintage Jeeps(ters) have Character,
new Jeeps just have payments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 06:15 PM
Leigh_Smith

If it is an egr manifold, is your egr valve hooked up and working? No air coming up would let gas fall thru the holes and puddle up. I think i have the same thing on my 304 with a 4bbl 360 intake but I never took the time to look for puddling gas, too many other problems to chase!

It will never be finished unless it burns up in the woods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode