Lift kits and Warranty - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 02:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Lift kits and Warranty

I have a 2001 TJ with 3100 miles.I want to lift it with a Rubicon Express 3" Super-flex kit and 33inch tires.Will this setup void my warranty.My local dealer thinks it might.They said it could void the whole drive train warranty.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 02:25 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Lift kits and Warranty

I bet yes. It will void your warrenty.

I'm on here so much, I have carpal tunnel reader syndrone.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 03:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would say it depends on the shop you deal with. The dealership gets paid by Jeep to do warranty work on it. As long as the modification didn't cause the failure, then I would say that they would repair the problem. However, it depends what the problem is. If you came in with a clunk noise over speed bumps, I would say that they would probably laugh at you. But if you came in with a check engine light on and it was in no way related to the lift, then I would think they would repair it. They may have you sign for a fee to look at it just to see if it was caused by the modification.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 04:59 PM
Veteran

Here's something dealing with voiding warrenties that I got off of the Quadratec BBS.

Jerry Bransford posted this as a reply to pretty much the same question back in May or June,:
"Legally speaking, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act protects consumers from having their warranty revoked or denied merely due to having aftermarket parts installed. Unless you just accept being railroaded by the dealer, they cannot deny warranty coverage unless they can *prove* the failure whose warranty they are denying coverage for was specifically caused by the aftermarket part.
If your dealer denied the transmission's warranty merely because of the suspension lift's presence, you have recourse against them. You have the right to demand they set up a meeting with the Chrysler Area Representative and you have the right, under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, to force them to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the lift *caused* a warrantied part to fail. Though the following URL has a lot of legal gobledegook on it, it will at least give you a bit of information on the act.
Check out http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...y/undermag.htm
for more information on that act and don't let them snowball you, you are protected against this very thing under the Act."

<font color=red>I may not like what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.<font color=black>
Semper Jeep
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 07:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Infantry hit the nail on the head!! My wife and I had a similar issue with a Dodge dealer last year. When we brought up the "right to have a meeting" and knowing our rights under the "act" they started jumping. Later they had asked if we were lawyers or worked for Dodge. The shop that you deal with and the shop foreman can be a determining factor as well. Ask them of their opinion but by law you can do it. Ben

JpShp
http://www.jeep-shop.com

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 07:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Infantry hit the nail on the head!! My wife and I had a similar issue with a Dodge dealer last year. When we brought up the "right to have a meeting" and knowing our rights under the "act" they started jumping. Later they had asked if we were lawyers or worked for Dodge. The shop that you deal with and the shop foreman can be a determining factor as well. Ask them of their opinion but by law you can do it. Ben

JpShp
http://www.jeep-shop.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode