body panel dimensions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

body panel dimensions

as yo may or maynot remember, i posted a few pics of the cancer that is eating away at the old girl, specifically around the typical places above the rear wheels. so for a quick temp fix, i am having some new skins laser cut out (i have connections). the plan is to run one piece from the tailgate to the doors, one each side, out of thin alum diamond plate, so i can bend it around the corners. i was gonna draw these up myself in autocad, but just figured that before i take the time, i'd ask around and see if anyone has already done this.

thanks all
shawn

The cup isn't half full or half empty, it's just twice the size it needs to be!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 11:37 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: body panel dimensions

A couple of years ago my ol' neighbor showed up in a beautiful CJ. The tub looked like fiberglass. That's not how I remembered the old rustbuckt. Well, a friend of his owns a metal fabrication shop in New Richmond WI. He had a large area of the shop not being used and offered it for restoration of the Jeep. Together they chistled off the everything from the cowl back on the CJ and made cardboard templates of the pieces. Then they transfered the cardboard dimensions to 16ga metal and plasma cut. They cut 1" below the tub lip, as it was in good shape and then joined the OEM lip to the new metal. The one piece side was heated and bent around the corner at the proper radius and joined to the piece from the opposite side in the middle of what would be the tailgate. The floors were flat and the transmission tunnel was square to minimize any work needed.

The tub came out without a ripple in it. You could hit a tree with that tub and it would have took the tree out. There was no wobbling or vibrating of the tub wall when those Hard Doors were closed!

So, having seen it done, yes I think this aluminum wrap will buy anohter couple of years of usefulness for the tub. But on the other hand... have you considered steel and fabing new sides?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Re: body panel dimensions

yeah i did consider going the metal route, but if i did then i'd either have to have half of it just primed or repaint the jeep. repainting isn't beyond me, i'm just too lazy right now (and short on time). the bigger problem here is the frame rot.....i'm just hoping she'll hold together long enough til i can either fix it right or more likely buy another and use this one for parts. so to answer your question, i felt alum diam plate would look better than plain old plimer.....

thanks all
shawn

The cup isn't half full or half empty, it's just twice the size it needs to be!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode