'97 Tj check engine light question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

\'97 Tj check engine light question

We have a '97 that the check engine light has illuminated. In the past I have done the "on-off-on-off-on" sequence and checked the codes, but this time it won't work. I have tried it many, many times, and each time within 5 seconds. In the past I have gotten a "code 55, diagnostic completed" code, but this time I get nothing but the odometer mileage. And no, the other lamp indicators don't continue flashing to let me know what the code is. The check function doesn't seem to be working, what's wrong?

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 10:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: \'97 Tj check engine light question

Are you talking bout the check engine light, with the picture of the engine, or the check gauges light? DO all the lights go off but for the odometer reading?If so then thats what it's suppose to do. Or does the check engine light stay on? do you have a reader? you can hook it up and see whats going on. DOne any deep water crossings lately?

Give me some fresh air, and give me that farm, give me some time with you in my arms, cause I'm gonna feed my soul, where the black top ends...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

All the lights and gauges work normally, it's like I'm asking it to run (I don't go to "start"). No, no water crossings or anything else out of the norm, jeep still runs fine. I just can't get the codes to come up at all, any of them, but the check engine light is on constant.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 10:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

hmm, sounds phishy to me.. this same thing happened to another one of my vehicles, and I couldn't for the life of me figure it out.. It ended up being that I didn't have my gas cap on securely. Try checking your gas cap..

Give me some fresh air, and give me that farm, give me some time with you in my arms, cause I'm gonna feed my soul, where the black top ends...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 09:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ever figure it out bud?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 09:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ever figure it out bud?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

Nope. The light went out for a little while and then came back on.

The check code function still doesn't work. I think I'll call the dealership tomorrow and see what's up. They'll tell me to bring it in, but I'll wait a little while before doing that. The warranty is up on Oct 1 (we'll hit 5 years and are only at 91K so far), and I think the rear end is on it's way out again (replaced it at 48K), so I want to take the cover off and have a look around.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode