Wheeling in Mt Pleasant MI? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Wheeling in Mt Pleasant MI?

Is there anyplace to wheel in Mt Pleasant? I know that silver lake isn't that far, but I was wondering if there were any mild trails I could hit for a couple hours after work.
thanks
Jake

If your kidneys don't hurt, it's not a real Jeep!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 10:34 AM

Re: Wheeling in Mt Pleasant MI?

There are some spots. One is west of clare. Mild wheelin with lots of hills (sand), couple of hours there. One near farwell where its mostly mud. I havn't hit that one in a couple of years, but most definetly need a winch, major water and mud. There are some up to grayling with lots of sand. There are some out to oil city but I'm still working on getting directions. So there are a few around. I'll get some directions and post them. later ken

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 12:31 PM

Yeah, I live in Livonia just wast of Detroit, and there is nothing around here. I have to travel 2-3 hrs to goet anything good. If there are trails somewhere around me I would love to know.

85 CJ7, 258 Nuttered, SRS, 2"YJ BDS, $100 paint job
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 01:31 PM

there is the mounds in flint off of Mt. Morris rd. i have heard of a place not far from Mt. Pleasent that is south west of town...i was told about it awhile ago so i don't remember where, a guy that went to CMU told me about it... I normally go to the Gladwin area to wheel, mud and sandy trails there, but it is all dry now [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img].

Craig

'89 S-10 P/U 4.3L 31" Yoko M/Ts
'99 S-10 2.2L 2WD 5 Speed Stepside Totally Stock [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 09:40 PM

I know of some state land southwest of mp but thats about it. Not much there really. I've heard some good things about the gladwin trails. The only thing I know of near detroit would be the mounds.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 09:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Youre not too far from Cadilac, there are lots of trails around there. Thats where the Jamborees were at one time(matbe they still are). There are also many, many fire roads to be explored just west of Oscoda. The last time I was in that area, I found some pretty challenging terrain and some trails that looked like they had been abandoned for years. The area just West of Thunder Bay has alot of public access land and is relatively ignored by the masses which make for some peaceful camping in a very clean environment, just go prepared and be careful. Theres a small town to the West of you called Bitely, and you can find some good places to wheel just past highway 131. Ive done some wheelin in Lewiston(snowmobile trails), Mio, Sterling, Metz, Indian River, Caseville, Houghton Lake, ect, ect. You really shouldnt have any trouble finding a place to wheel. Especially where you're at. If you were in SE Mich, it would be a little diffrent. If you want to do some REAL fun stuff, head to the Porcupines in the U.P.. The Porcupines are a beutiful area that doesnt get much traffic. Just do us all a favor, take out your trash. I started visiting that area 15 years ago. At that time you never seen as much as a candy wrapper on the ground anywhere. But over the last maybe ten years, it has got much, much worse. The last time was there was 3 years ago and I actually found a refridgerator out on the trails. [censored]. No wonder the BLM has a stick up their ass. Not that any Jeepers did it, I hope. Any way, I logged the frigidairs coordinates and hauled it out when my stay was over. I set the damn thing on the side of the road where the county would take care of it. So, heres a tip for anyone ignorant and malicious enough to dump their trash in a national damn forest; for half the effort, risk, and enviro impact, you can dump it in a ditch. At least that way when your dumb unemployed ass is working road crew for the county, you'll get to pick up your own trash after all. Sorry for venting, I just got back from a canoe trip on the rifle river, and Im thoroughly disgusted with the trash and debris I seen on the river. So, I hope this helps you out a little. If you need more specific directions, send me an e-mail.

-Blake

Holy sh*t thats a long way down!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 10:32 PM

Hey I'm still working on those directions. Trying to get a hold of my buddy, he knows the directions better than me. If you want you can email me at [email protected] and I'll email them to you once I get them later ken

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode