question for the quadratrac moonguys and others - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

question for the quadratrac moonguys and others

I am thinking about using a quadratrac setup in my Jeep, either that or Dana18 transfer case or find another rear axle quadratracs seem plenitful and inexpensive.
I found a quadratrac trans & transfer case from a 1975 J-10. the trans is seperated from the transfer case. it has been sitting that way in a garage covered with rags for about 2 years. In MI, BTW it does freeze here in the winter. the price is more than fair- IMHO. Everything seems to spin fine when I turn the shafts by hand. these were in a working/driving truck. only removed because someone wrapped the truck around a tree.
Any specific problems I should look for related to quadratrac transfer case??
Any specifics I should look for related to a trans or transfer case that has been sitting un-used for long periods?
I think I remember reading something about seals or bands in auto transmissions drying out if it is not driven or started for long periods. ???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 02:57 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: question for the quadratrac moonguys and others

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] You probably won't have to do much to it except renew the seal behind the torque converter and on both ends of the tranny-to-transfer case adapter. You can check the wear on the chain in the transfer case by removing the little plug and pushing on the chain with a round rod to measure the slop. Other than that, it could go right in....except that you might want to do the CJDave modification to the clutch pack and make a real user-friendly case out of it. Oh, and one more thing.......make a fixture to set alongside the tires so you can match them up. The tires need to have the EXACT same rolling radius. Oh, and one more thing.....if you do the modification to the transfer case you can use ordinary ATF, not the special fluid.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks run by Moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img], buildin' the ultimate SNOJEEP!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 03:27 AM
Old Hand

Hey Dave.. Got any documents on this modification??

Hooch

'83 CJ-7 in Land Rover Country

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 04:16 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Not at the moment, but I plan to do a photo shoot of one that we will be doing next month. All we do is machine the splines out of the clutch cones, and then add a thrust washer behind the differential side gear. What it does is disables the cone clutches and frees up the differential. It works better in "unlock" mode because the drivetrain isn't under such a strain, and it locks up better and easier with the vacuum pot when you want to really "Yolk em' up". As manufactured, they don't go into "Lock" or EMERGENCY DRIVE very well, and tend to pop out easily.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]This mod takes care of that little problem and enhances the fuel mileage as well.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks run by Moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img], buildin' the ultimate SNOJEEP!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 05:18 AM
Old Hand

Well time to get the digicam out then, next time you do one... Although I haven't got quadratrac, I like to keep documents on anything CJ related, so I can help people out over here in the U.K.

Hooch

'83 CJ-7 in Land Rover Country

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 05:35 AM
SPRUCE

If the tranny has been seperated from the t-case for awhile make sure that the output shaft on the tranny has No rust on it. I had a little surface rust on mine when I put it back together and had seal faluires where it connects to the transfer case.

THE DIFFICULT WE DO IMMEDIATELY, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A LITTLE LONGER...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode