What is this thing and how can I fix it? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
kutyafal's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Dale City, VA
Posts: 1,324
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is this thing and how can I fix it?

This tube always comes loose and it's a good way for water or mud splash to get in there. Is this the CCV sensor? It goes to the air tube behind the air filter box. The sleeve that pressed into the valve cover doesn't seem to fit the end of the tube fitting. I guess it's supposed to be a twist and lock thing but it's not even close. So what do I ask for at the part store and what is it supposed to look like? Thanks guys.

'91 YJ w/stuff, http://members.home.net/t.molnar
kutyafal is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 09:48 PM
Posts: n/a
Re: What is this thing and how can I fix it?

It's part of the vent system. There should be 1 in front and 1 in back. They just slide in and don't lock or anything like that. I have a 304 so don't a lot about it but my friends that have the 4.0 and 4.2 motors usually seal around them with RTV sealer or something similar.

Click to visit the Extreme Trails website!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 11:25 PM
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 553
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: What is this thing and how can I fix it?

Well Kutyafal, if you have ever experienced blow by you know the function of this tube.
It should go to the top portion of the air box.
On our '87 XJ w/ the 4.0 this tube is used to transport the blown by oil to the air filter.
It is supposed to be part of the breathing system and I suppose it does its job.

The last time I was at the dealer I asked about this particular part and they had 25 of them back ordered.
Apparantly this part is one that breaks quite frequently.
If you are able to get one I think they run about $30 bucks or so.
Good Luck

TX 4X4 club Arlington Chapter
redbeard is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 09:04 AM
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 360
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: What is this thing and how can I fix it?

It's the breather tube for the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation). Should be able to get a replacement rubber grommet from just about any pepjerks.
It's supposed to draw clean air from the breather. But as Redbeard said, for most it brings much needed oil to up to the paper filter element. Ha!! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

RocknCJ [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

for those who would trade a little freedom,
for a little security
...will soon find they have neither. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
RocknCJ is offline  
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome