converting to disc brakes - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 02:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

converting to disc brakes

I would kind of like to put disc brakes up front but Im not sure of all that it entails. Im also not sure if I want to put money into my dana 30. What would be your suggestions? Would the dana 44 out of an earlier wagoneer fit or is it a wider axle. That would probably be one of my better options if it would work. Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 04:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: converting to disc brakes

Coleboy,
The Disc brakes from a later year Dana 30 should bolt right up. You will want the larger rotor and the 6 bolt hubs for the swap. The dana 44 from a Waggie will be wider than your jeep, so if you use the front end from the waggie ,then go ahead and swap in the rear at the same time. It will be wider, but you will be more stable. You can throw on some extended flares and be legal. Putting money in the Dana 30 or going 44 something you will have to do some thinking about. If you have a huge engine, and a heavy gas foot, then the 44 would be stronger

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 06:44 PM

-snip-The Disc brakes from a later year Dana 30 should bolt right up-snip-

You'll need to swap to the newer disc knuckles to clear the calipers and also the master cylinder to be changed. The drum MCs have a 10lb residual pressure valve(counteracts the return springs on the shoes in the drum) and disc brakes only need a 2lbs RPV. Some people remove the RPV and run without them, I've seen this done on 4 wheel disc systems but I'm not suggesting to do this. If you leave the 10lb RPV in, the calipers will drag. If you can find them(rare but still out there), get the disc setup from a '77 cj(77 Big Brakes), they had the largest disc brakes of any dana 30 made.

If you wheel hard, then go with a 44, if you plan on wheeling "real hard" then nows the time to save the $ and go even bigger. It's cheaper in the longrun to build your Jeep stronger then what you think you'll need. I've found that the more capable you make your rig , the harder you'll push it and 44s are good to a point but if it breaks a couple times, you'll spend more on it then an unbreakable D60. I spent way to much money going through three dana30s, then two dana44s and now the 60. But, like I said, it depends on how hard you wheel.

Wayne @ Big Island RockCrawlers
"PYRO" The Rock Crawler
Web Site: http://www.members.tripod.com/surfmac/Index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 07:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

you can probably find a CJ Dana30 with discs for CHEAP $$

would be easier to swap the whole thing, no?

[b]Boston Mangler
89 YJ With A Bunch Of Goodies
See It At:
http://www.yankeetoys.org/mangler/
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 09:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What types of prices should I expect if I look for dana 30 parts? What all do I need? Also, what is the price going to be (about) for a conversion kit.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 09:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have sold 2 COMPLETE CJ dana 30's for $100 each

[b]Boston Mangler
89 YJ With A Bunch Of Goodies
See It At:
http://www.yankeetoys.org/mangler/
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 10:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

got any more??

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 11:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

One thing to consider when swapping the entire front axle is gear ratio. It may be cheap to buy the whole thing, but if the gears don't match your rear count on some $$$ for a gear change. Just make sure and add up all the possible costs.

'75 CJ5 with goodies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode