What 44's to use for axle swap? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

What 44\'s to use for axle swap?

I've got an 83 cj7 which has the factory widetrack axles. It has a 999 tranny in front of a d300. I know the popular axles are from either a scout or wagoneer. If I remember correctly the scout rear has a centered pig and is practically a bolt in? The front has the necessary passenger side pig but zero caster in the knuckles correct? The width of both is close to the factory axles?
If using the front from a wagoneer it has the correct(or close) amount of caster but the axle has to be narrowed approximately 4"? Anything I'm missing here? I know this subject has been beat to death and many will say "do a search". I could but because it HAS been beat to death when you do a search their is Soooo much that comes up and has to be sifted through I figgered I'd just beat it some more.
I can pick up a set of scout II axles for $350 and I don't have to pull them. Does that seem to be a decent midwestern(ohio) boneyard price. I would imagine the price will go up a tad if I make them pull 1 each from two different donors but I will if I have to. Cutting the knuckles loose and putting some caster in doesn't scare me too much. Some baseline measurements and a degree indicator and I should be good to go.
Any thoughts??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 12:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: What 44\'s to use for axle swap?

From what I found when looking the Wagoneer narrow track front axle was the same (very, very close) to the Scout front axle in width. Another drawback to the Scout axle is you are limited to a 2" wide spring. That's not a concern if you keep your stock springs. In my case I'm going SOA with rear CJ springs, front and rear.

'75 CJ5 with goodies
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 12:43 AM
kjs

I have a whole 1977 Scout II that I would sell you for $250. It is in eastern Indiana. It has the front and rear 44's, 345 V8,and a typical midwestern rusty Scout body. It ran last year but now has a steering problem.
Let me know if you or anybody else is [email protected]

Kelly

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Hmm. I coulda swore you had to cut the long side of the wagoneer axle 4". Maybe I'm mixing it up with something else. The spring width limitation is something to think about though. I don't intend to go spring over...at this time... but you never know what the future will bring and I like to keep my options open.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

kjs: Check your privat mail.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 01:53 AM
Official Historian

I think you are thinking of J-truck and widetrack cherokee axles. They are wider than the grand waggies.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 06:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

snowtow, i ran 2.5" springs on the scout d44 front that i ran. i was using a spring over setup and run rear cj springs on the front. i have also built a 87 wrangler with 2.5" springs on the front and slapped a scout d44 in the front of it. it was also spring over though.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 09:16 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I agree, the axle upgrade questions are beat to death. Here is what I'm currently doing for my 80 CJ5. I have the rear Scout II axle. My Scout II measured 58" wheel mount to wheel mount. Now for my front axle I've gone with a Cherokee wide track. The Cherokee wide track measured about 64" wheel mount to wheel mount. I then converted to Ford spindle brake rotor / hub assemblies from a 1982 full size Bronco that had independent front suspension, and the wheel mount to wheel mount measured 65". The Ford spindle brake rotor / hub assemblies made the Cherokee wide track wheel mount to wheel mount measurement about 1" wider.

I'm having the long side cut on the Cherokee wide track cut about 5". My wheel mount to wheel mount will be real close to 60". Several 4WD vehicles have the front axle wheel mount to wheel mount wider than the rear axle wheel mount to wheel mount.

I've seen confusion about the Wagoneer axles. Some CJ owners elect to have the Wagoneer narrow track front axle cut down about 4" to match the CJ wide track Dana 30.

The spring pads on my CJ measured about 27 3/4" center of the pad to center of the pad. The short side of my Cherokee wide track measured about 16 1/4" from the center of the spring pad to the wheel mount with the Ford spindle brake rotor / hub assembly installed. The final math for my CJ front axle was (Left side)16 1/4" + (Center) 27 3/4" + (Right side) 16 1/4" = 60 1/4".

I still need to check on the brake caliper mounting. I think I can still use the Cherokee caliper mounting bracket and caliper with the Bronco spindle brake rotor / hub assembly.
dave

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 09:33 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Maybe you read my post about cutting 4 inches off of the long side of a waggy rear. That is what i am doing. It will be about an inch wider then a widetrack cj axle.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 05:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

As soon as I posted the 2" spring width thing I knew I should have edited it to say that the rule applied in a spring under configuration only. With spring over a 2.5" spring does work.

'75 CJ5 with goodies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode