How much is a paint job on a CJ7? Also a motor que - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 04:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How much is a paint job on a CJ7? Also a motor que

I'm looking at a black CJ7 1985. Body's perfect but repaint is needed. I am considering solar yellow as long as I'm repainting but I'm wondering what it will cost to paint the exterior, interior, dashboard. I want a decent job but not extravagent. Anyone with experience with this? Is the dash a problem for the bodyshop to repaint because of the gauges? I'll remove the rotted carpet but will the adhesive be tough to remove from the metal?

Motor question: This jeep is lifted 2" with 35" mud tires. It barely does 60 mph with it's 258 (rebuilt 50K ago). Can I be reasonable sure it will do better on the highway when I lower it and put on 30" all-terrain tires?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 08:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: How much is a paint job on a CJ7? Also a motor que

I'm not certain this will help with your paint question but use it as a starting point. I took my cj7 to Maaco paint in Las Vegas, a kind of quicky paint company, surely not a high end place. I wasn't going to change colors so I didn't have your issues with the interior. Basic paint job, mid level quality was $400.00, remove all decals on the hood, fenders $100.00, paint the hardtop a different color from the body color $100.00. Doors don't match so to do the inside of the doors to match the existing interior $100.00, need a bunch of little holes in the body filled in (welded not bondo) $50.00, minor body work, $150. There you have it, it would be nearly a $1,000 bill. Then I went to a body shop here in small town Arizona and he gave me a price of $1,200 to do nearly the same job with probably a little bit better quality paint. So now the Jeep sits, stock fading paint. I don't know what I expected to pay but I'll have to rethink having this done. Hope this helps. John- oh, as to speed, I have 31's and the Jeep can easily get to 70 though I rarely will have the desire to drive it that fast.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 08:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't know what the paint job will cost ya but as far as the motor question goes there are at least two ways to approach it one as you suggested shorter tires but I definately wouldn't take off the two inch lift or you could regear change your gear ratio in your differentials which if it were me would be my choice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 10:26 AM

You could always buy my jeep [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
It got painted corvette yellow a few days ago.
Depending on body work..1,000-1,500 for a good paint job.

Its four wheel drive and naked women what more do you want?
-Dirt Dog
SWB BBS Member Page!(exclamation)
http://www.shortwheelbase.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 11:18 AM

As for paint, $15 for the tremclad approach, probably $200-$300 if you do it your self and it goes up from there. for a single color a thousand bucks is about right, add a couple hundred for each additional color.

Soon to be 1976 chev K-30, 427,t400,203,D60F,14Br,4.56
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 03:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

John if you need a paint job and don't want to go for the $1000, for which I don't blame you. Ya could always do a camo paint job with rattle cans, just a thought.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 12:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey steelerfan, I have a buddy who just did his flatfender that way. Actually looks good. Must admit I had never thought of doing mine that way, but now that you mention it.........Besides I could get my pal to help, as he is now the "expert." John

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 12:45 AM

count on a minumum of $1000 for a decent paint job. last truck i had done was $3000 for a k5 blazer, but dang that was a tight paint job. my cj cost about $20 for all teh spray paint.

if you cant dodge it..it must be a tranny shop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode