Herculiner? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Herculiner?

I've heared alot about this liner, I was just wondering, it's spray on right? What do you spray with? also, what kind of prep work is neccessary, and third, when is a good time to do it?
Brand new?
Little rust?
or when your feet go throught the floor?

I found a huge patch of rust under the drivers feet, it looks nasty, but its only surface rust.
My carpet is pretty much shot, and I was thinking of a soloution.
Any ideas?

Do you think insurance will cover the carb if it some how "teleports" behind the tires of a 350 with dualies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 04:13 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Herculiner?

First off, you are so wise to get rid off the carpet.
Herculiner is generally rolled or brushed. I've heard spray makes the texture too course, and brushed is ruff enuff. Herculiner leaves a nonskid surface that is kinda hard to clean. But it's way better than carpet. I like my Rhinoliner but it's slippery when wet.

I'm on here so much, I have carpal tunnel reader syndrone.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Is the rhino liner better?

What kind of price range am I looking at?

And do I have to remove everything? or just the seats?

Does it only stick to metal, or does it work on fiberglass?

Do you think insurance will cover the carb if it some how "teleports" behind the tires of a 350 with dualies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 06:53 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Herculiner is about $100 for a gallon (that will do a tub) but you can usually find someone that has it on sale for $79. You should remove everything that is on the floor to do a nice job. Make sure you remove ALL the rust with a wire brush or something similar, and treat the rusted areas with a rust convertor such as Extend". If you don't, the rust will continue to fester under the Herculiner and you will have a bigger mess than when you started. The stuff works great on fiberglass. I did the interior of my 4WD Hardware tub with it and it turned out great. Just follow the instructions on the can and take your time. Good luck!

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo,It's Orange! Now I just have to put it all back together.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 07:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

K-Mart has the 1 gal kit for $89. The most important thing to make sure you have a good outcome is preparation. Remove all the rust (sandblast?) and clean with xylene. I did my tub with Durabac and it turned out pretty good. Rhinoliner would have cost me $450 and would have looked a lot nicer but I guess I'm cheap.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 08:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I found a bed liner made by Bondo, the same co. who makes the body putty. It comes as a kit with 3/4 gallon of liner and a quart of hardener. Anyway, teenage son, wife, and I applied it using a plastic loop roller and cheap paint brushes. When using the brush you want to dab it on to create the texture. As mentioned in the other posts, prep is the key. We took everything out so we had plenty of room to work and as for the rust I would wirebrush those areas good and clean and then use some sort of rust converter.

Jeeper1267 '87 Wrangler/SOA/SYE/33's
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 08:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Forgot to tell ya...I found the Bondo stuff for $60 and one kit is more than enough to do a tub....

Jeeper1267 '87 Wrangler/SOA/SYE/33's
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 08:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I put Herculiner in the tub of my CJ7 and it turned out well. Something to consider is that you will most likely need 2 gallons. I only used one and if there is anything with a sharp edge in the tub (like the mounting posts on upper soft doors), it will cut and peel the Herculiner. Trust me, do one coat, wait for it to dry and then put on another. It is still cheaper than the Rhinoliner.

William
1980 CJ7 258 Holley EFI / Mallory Unilite/ Dana 44F ARB / AMC20 1-piece Detroit / T-98A tranny / D300 / Ramsey RE10,000lb / ARB Snorkel
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 10:33 PM
Enthusiast

I really like my herculiner in the tub. I wish I had more time before I got excited and started rolling it on...I had to go to work and didn't have time to use up the whole gallon. Now there are few thin spots that get a little rust coming out. Some day I'll get a quart and thicken up the lining. I tried the zylene stuff to clean the floor, but it just balled up all the carpet glue that was all over the place. As for prep work, grind any rust off, and use water to clean the tub and let it dry all the way before starting.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 04:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Herculiner is great and has a nice finish when applied with an undercoating gun.
Check these pics for details. #1, #2, #3

It's way cheaper than the LineX or Rhinoliner.

JpShp
http://www.jeep-shop.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode