where to place jack stands? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

where to place jack stands?

Have patience with the beginner, please!! I am getting ready to start the frame work I posted about a couple of week earlier, and I need to know where to put the jackstands. On the rear leaf springs, I will have to take the front perches off to fix the rust there. how do I need to support the Jeep? I should probably put jackstands under the frame, and the axle, right? Also, where can I buy P.B. Blaster? thanks again for the good advice!!
Ben

86 CJ7 258, weber carb, rusty but trusty!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 02:16 PM

Re: where to place jack stands?

If you are going to be disconnecting the springs from the frame I would definitely put jackstands under the frame itself.
If you need to lower the axle from the frame you can use your floor jack to support it while disconnecting and then you can slowly lower it to the ground as needed.
Be sure and disconnect your driveshaft before lowering the axle too far.
I guess you could also let the slip yoke pull out of itself, but you have to get it back together in the correct position in order to keep your driveline from vibrating.
Also if you did this it would be difficult to position the driveshaft ends together while doing the same with the leaf springs at the same time.
Of course it helps to have help, but if you don't I would suggest disconnecting the driveshaft before lowering the springs/axle from the frame.

TX 4X4 club Arlington Chapter
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 02:32 PM

This reminds me, to use a Hi-Lift Jack, you have to install special jack points don't you?

I can't see myself getting the jack all the way under the car and on the frame like I get my stock jack, but at the same time I can't see myself jacking the body, it would tear it up like paper.

So where do you jack from/to?

Do you think insurance will cover the carb if it some how "teleports" behind the tires of a 350 with dualies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 06:04 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Never use a highlift and craw under a the jeep. Those jacks are great in the woods but can be dangerous also.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 06:23 PM

Thats what I'm talking about.

First thing I was told when I got my Jeep was, "If you get under that thing when its on a Jack, I'm gona dis-own you, then send the Jeep to the scrap heap."

As you can probably tell, I have never gotten under it.
I've got so much lift I don't need to use a Jack to get under it.

Do you think insurance will cover the carb if it some how "teleports" behind the tires of a 350 with dualies?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 12:44 AM

If you want to do what I was talking about then you jack under the axle as high as you can go, put the jack stand under the frame and let the axle drop when you let the weight transfer from the jack to the jack stands.
If you do not have a suspension that droops down extremely far then this should work fine.
Otherwise I would reccomend you put some hi-lift jack points on it, jack it up, put the jack stands under the frame, release the jack, and go to work from there.

TX 4X4 club Arlington Chapter
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 02:17 AM
Official Historian

When I am working on the suspension, I just put the jackstands next to the spring mount of the end I am working on. For the front, it would be the rear mount and for the rear, it would be the front mount. Jack the jeep up under the axle, lower it to the jackstands, take the tires off and lower the jack the rest of the way.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 03:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

do like peter parker would
make a web around the rollcage and hoist from rafters.

tried it for my frame off and it worked great.

[email protected],

schaan

1980 CJ7 82.9% completed
1969 Early Bronco 40% completed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode