AMC V8 Engine question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 11:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

AMC V8 Engine question

I have an AMC V8 304 which appears to be set up the same as the 360 & 401. The EGR valves are on a bracket at the back of the manifold behind the carb. My EGR's are not connected and are crimped off by the previous owner. Are the brackets simply bolted into screw holes in the manifold? And if removed, is it okay to simply plug the screw holes with a good lookin' bolt before I paint the manifold?

My second question is relative to the oil fill tube that goes through the manifold into the engine. I want to paint my engine and make it look good! Will the fill tube unscrew from the manifold or is it fixed in that position and should I just paint it when I paint the manifold? How do I determine the official color of a 1976 V8 AMC engine?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 01:07 PM

Re: AMC V8 Engine question

I removed my EGR, made a plate for it out of 1/4" steel and bought a new gasket and bolted the plate down.

The original color of a 76 AMC is a light greenish-blue thing. They carry the color just about every parts store I have been to. I think it is just plain ugly, but that is my opinion.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 01:48 AM
Official Historian

Re: AMC V8 Engine question

Externally, all the amc v8's are the same. The oil fill tube is just pressed into the intake. You might be able to twist and pull it out by hand. I replaced my intake with an Edelbrock non-EGR intake and transfered the oil fill tube to the new manifold after I had painted it. I just put a block of wood on it and hammered it in till it seated. I chose to paint my engine cummins tan also so it wouldn't show dirt as well. It looks pretty good in a green jeep.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode