Synthetic oil??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 09:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Synthetic oil???

I have a 89 YJ with 120,000 miles but the engine was rebuilt at 113,000. I wanted to switch to synthetic because I have heard it stops almost all wear and longer intervals between oil changes? when I priced it I noticed the synthetic blends were cheaper than full synthetic? whats the difference? do you still have the longer interval on the blends? are they as good ?

Got rid of 2 Suzuki Samurai's and got serious I got an 89YJ Wrangler with 32's and hardtop, origional Rebuilt engine 120K miles. and the economy vehicle is a 2000XL Harley Davidson Sportster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 10:17 AM
Addict

Re: Synthetic oil???

I beleive the synthetic blend is a mixture of synthetic and conventional oils.
I have been using synthetics oils for the past 15 years. Normally Mobil 1 as it is easy to find. I have also used Redline and Amsoil.
I don't know which is really the best. Both Amsoil and Mobil make oil filters designed specifically for the synthetic oils; I'm not sure that Redline does.
I know Amsoil has a web site that you should check out. Also try Redline and Mobil, they too probably have websites.
I feel better using synthetic as it is designed to hold up and protect better then conventional oils. I change my oil every 6 mos. regardless of mileage.
I have taken 2 engines apart that have used synthetic oils. I never measured any clearences but everything was EXTREMELY clean.
I currently have Amsoil in my tranny, trnsfer, and axles.
It costs more, but my vehicles are worth it.
FYI - Many new cars (Corvette for example) are coming from the factory with Mobil 1 as the recommended oil to use.

Imagine life with no paved roadways!
Billy
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 01:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was considering getting Castrol Syntec blend but I wasn't sure if I was wasting my time buying a blend for the price instead of getting the full synthetic. also if its a blend do you still need to change it every 3 mos./3000 miles?

Got rid of 2 Suzuki Samurai's and got serious I got an 89YJ Wrangler with 32's and hardtop, origional Rebuilt engine 120K miles. and the economy vehicle is a 2000XL Harley Davidson Sportster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 03:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

don't believe the hype about 3000 miles, thats just a ploy from oil changing chains, (jiffy lube).. It depends on your driving, how you take care of your vehicle, and what not. If you gun it every corner you take, chances are your oil will turn to mush in no time. If you drive speed limits on country roads a couple times a day, it'll last longer. Synthetic oil last a lot longer than normal oil, and you'll have a longer period between oil changes

It can't be done? HA, they MUST be crazy...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 04:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

oil makers have been adding detergents to oil for years, that is how they make multi viscosity oils, they found that the detergents alone worked even better but cost more to make. i will try and find the article and post it here.
but i have good things about the blends.

dave

My CJ is your Wranglers Daddy
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 05:17 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I've used Mobil 1 since it came out in 75(?). Great stuff. Superior flow in all temps - doesn't volitalize nor turn to asphalt like conventional oils when stressed. That's why Billy found a clean interior.
I too feel that the 3/3000 oil thingie is bogus. Using conventional oils I'd probably say ok to the 3 month interval in a 4 seasons climate....but the 3k mile thingie is way too short in my mind. I guess I'd have to say it would really depend on my driving environment. If it was all highway, with few heating and cooling cycles per mile I'd approach it differently than a taxi idling all day with few heating a cooling cycles per day ..but other stresses (overheating, low pressure, etc.) or if it was a car that only went 4 miles to work and never fully got warmed up. You have to say it's not a clear cut thingie.
I use Mobil 1 and change it every 6months (about 7500 miles) as temperatures transition at the end of spring and fall. That certainly covers all the bases and still falls within the warranty requirements of DC.

GeeAea

Now that I've quit smoking my doctor informs me that I'll die in much better health!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode