Dual transmissions? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 02:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dual transmissions?

Who's running them, and what did you use?

I was thinking of running a Volvo tranny behind my Samurai's 5-speed, but now I'm thinking of selling the Samurai and adding another CJ5 to the stable.

I like the idea of a second transmission for lower gearing.

jo-jo http://island4x4.com
'79 CJ7
'56 CJ5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 09:12 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: Dual transmissions?

Jojo, welcome back, old login wouldn't work?

I sent you the E-mail on my idea already, make sense?

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 09:59 AM
Can't Get Enough

I have a buddy that wheels a Sami and I helped him put a t-90 out of a 1946 willy's truck in behind the stock 5 speed (been in there about 3yrs). We also swapped in the axles from the truck. Even though niether tranny has a super low first gear the t-90 is really short. We also used the d18 for the transfercase. The axles were something like 5.88's so he has no trouble pulling around his 38 TSL's. The front input shaft on the t-90 is actually drilled (machine shop) and bolted to an adapter we made for the back of the sami 5spd. I don't think this setup would work on a high horsepower motor but it hasn't broke yet on the 1300cc stock one. And he wheels it hard. We live near Tellico and wheel it mutiple times each year there, and it has attended all the Southern 4wd quarterly conventions and rides with the big dogs. The Sami's impress me as being a very capable off-road machine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 10:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks JEEPEN for the great info you sent. It's sure is nice when people take the time to respond like that to pretty much a stranger.

I can't even count how many e-mails i have responded to about 4x4 questions...I guess it's karma when I get a great response back of my own.

As far as being back...

Not really back per say...just wanted to ask a question. I might come back from time to time to ask the odd question, but I won't spend very much time here. It's really sad that I have been away for so long, yet one of the first threads I see here when I come back is the very reason i left in the first place. Wasted bandwidth on ranting and raving about subjects that have nothing to do with 4wheelin', and act as a way to exclude others from participating in the knowledge and potential for great online community here. It's really pathetic! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Anyway...

I'm 99% sure I'm selling the Samurai. Great little rig, but after driving a Jeep again...I MUST have torque! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

The CJ7 has a T-150 and Dana 20. I've been considering throwing in a TH400 and Quadra-trac I have or the TH400 and a Dana 300 I could get or maybe some kind of truck 4-speed with the T-150 behind it. Just trying to figure out what will work, and what would make sense to do.

Then there is the TH350 and NP203 I have. I've seen some people use (Bronco) Dana20/NP203, as well as 205/203 dual t-cases.

I also have a set of Land Cruiser axles...with an off-set rear and 4.10s. These axles are huge. Maybe if i found a Dana 18 i could use the rear axle and get a Dana 44 front from a Wagoneer with the same 6-bolt pattern.

Hmm....decisions decisions! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

jo-jo http://island4x4.com
'79 CJ7
'56 CJ5
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 04:41 PM

how about us your th350/np203 and adapt it to a Dana 18. i've never seen that before.

<font color=red>3/4tonYJ</font color=red>

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 10:34 PM
I Do This For The Glory

GreenMachine,

I was going to do the exact same thing, kinda sucks, I thought I had something original there.

Anyway, how did he mate the stock tranny and the T-90 together again? I have tossed several ideas around in my head, but nothing concrete. I am also going to use the stock 19 spline D44 in the rear and a D30 up front, but geared with 5.38's, and I'm also staying with the stock motor. I'm using my 32" Swampers though, should crawl nice.

Does he have an E-mail?

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode