going to do ball joints - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

going to do ball joints

I am planing to do my balljoints sooner or later and was wondering if one of the ball joint presses advertised in Harbor Freight etc would make the job any easier ? and since I am going to do axel universals at the same time it could be used for that also.I am planning and acquireing parts and tools to do the whole thing wheel bearings spindle bearings and what ever else is there to be replaced.
T.I.A.
RAy

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 10:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: going to do ball joints

ball joints on a 7???? unless you are talking about a different vehicle or you put ifs on that bad boy, 7's don't have ball joints, you might want to try the liberty though.....j/k

dave

My CJ is your Wranglers Daddy
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 10:36 PM
Official Historian

Uhm, all open knuckle solid axles have ball joints. (except maybe some dana 60's?)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 11:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Having the ball joint press just makes it oh so smooth to change ball joints and u-joints. What really makes it effortless is to use one with an impact gun. U-joints just flow out of the yokes like butter.

As to the guy who says there are no ball joints, time to go back to school. A ball joint is used to attach the knuckle to the axle yoke. They're used on almost all modern solid axle frontends along with IFS and others. I think the part you are thinking of is a constant velocity joint.

'75 CJ5 with goodies
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

OK
maybe they call them ball studs
whatever they call them I havn't done them in many years and I am not really sure they are bad I just don't want to pull it apart and replace axel u'joints ,spindle bearings and wheel bearings only to have to tear it apart in a few months to replace the ball STUD/JOINT. you know how that goes .
The Manual shows them using a "Rube Goldberg" two jaw puller to remove and install them and I was wondering if the press would be that much easier,or not ? Since I will have to Buy/Rent one anyhow.
Having gone through the first gate to HELL with the driveshaft U'Joints I am looking for the easiest method to do the axels before tearing into them.
T.I.A.

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 04:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

uuuhhh.... i think they are called ball studs, much different from a ball joint. ball joints allow an a arm in an ifs to steer and flex, a ball stud only moves to steer.
went through that school a long time ago. thanks for the tip though.......

dave

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 12:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you have a Harbor Freight tools store nearby they have a ball joint press for about $30 regular price. That's gotta be on par with renting one. You can find them online at http://www.harborfreighttools.com also. Ball joint, ball stud, you say tomayto, I say tomahto. See which they are called most commonly on any Jeep bulletin board. Frankly, IFS shouldn't be brought up on a short wheelbase bbs except in vain.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 01:56 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Here's my opinion on the matter. Don't buy a balljoint press thing for $30-$50. Get a 6-ton press from them for $69. Then you can use it for multiple applications. That's just my .02.

Now search friendly!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 01:57 AM

Do you say potahto too?

Do you think insurance will cover the carb if it some how "teleports" behind the tires of a 350 with dualies?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 12:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

on a bbs with so many "intelligent" people, i figured you would know what j/k meant. wow, no sence of humor.
j/k=just kidding. lighten up guys.

dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode