What to pay for RC D60 front? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

What to pay for RC D60 front?

What do you guys think a D60 Hp front is worth? I found one out of a 78 F250. Keep in mind I will need to have it retubed to fit my passenger side drop.
he wants a grand.

BigHG
84 CJ7
BRC Lifetime Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 07:53 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: What to pay for RC D60 front?

I think if it is in good shape, it is an OK price. The regular Chevy 60 complete around here go for about $1000. I have seen a nice HP Ford complete with new brakes go for $1600.

I think you should evaulate the cost of swapping the drop of a Ford to shorting a Chevy. Or even changing your t-case. There is a lot of money and expence to re-tube. I don't think the advantages of the HP in front will justify the expence. I'm thinking of trying to build a 44/60 hybread. Using a Ford 44 HP, and 60 tubes and axles. This should keep the weight down, have food ground clearance, and the strength of tht 60 u-joints. If I didn't go this route, I think I would chop a Chevy 60. Jaffers project looks real nice!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 09:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sounds kinda pricey to me. Does the guy you are buying it from know you are going to put it under a Jeep? It is amazing how the price of parts get 25%-50% more expensive when the seller knows it is for a Jeep. Have a buddy who drives a F250 go by and offer him a little less with cash in hand. I would like to find a D60HP to fab one for the rear of my CJ7. Check out this link http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2000/highp...iond60rear.cfm

William
1980 CJ7 258 Holley EFI / Mallory Unilite/ Dana 44F ARB / AMC20 1-piece Detroit / T-98A tranny / D300 / Ramsey RE10,000lb / ARB Snorkel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 12:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

why would anyone in thier right mind cut up a dana60 and add a dana44 centersection??!!!! i think i'll do the same with a dana 30. ha! really don't do something you'll regret just run the 60.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 12:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You would pay more than that for one here in AZ. I see them on Ebay occasionally for $800ish.

I found mine for $300 but would never expect to find another deal like that.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 12:36 AM

Dorfs,
Just wondering what the advantage would be to make a 44/60 hybrid? I understand the weight and the ground clearance, but it sounds like a lot of extra work rather then just cutting down a 60.

87 wrangler - 258
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 07:14 AM
Can't Get Enough

high5, I agree. You shouldn't destroy and chop up a good 60, of course I am not of my right mind! The ones that I am playing with were housings only, given to me for free. My project was to build a high 60 for the rear. So when I chopped up the axle to build the rear, I ended up with some 60 king pin outers ends. Too good to throw away. I also had a high 44 that I was going to re-tube and swap the drop to a passenger side. It seems that the only strength issue with the 44 is the outer u-joints. Using the front 60 axle shafts in the 44 seemed like the proper way to go. If I had the chance to just pick up a good Chevy 60 for the front, I wouldn't be screwing with this. It may be a poor way to go because the cost of the axle shafts and outer hubs are begining to approch the price of a good used 60.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 08:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dorfs...if you have the 60 outers,you could just grab any pos 60 center and put it together...
$ 1000 is probably not far off for a hi-pinion 60...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode