Please HELP!!!! Lifters stuck - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 02:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Please HELP!!!! Lifters stuck

I am currently changing the hydraulic lifters on my 2,5l CJ7 (4-151 engine) I removed the side cover and all worked fine with the first six; they could easily be pulled out of the block. The real trouble started when I tried to get the lifters of the first cylinder out. They can be moved upwards half the way but then are stuck. Right now i`m really desperate, cause I´have to get the car going until Tuesday. Has anybody of you an idea what could cause the blocking and how to fix it? (Maybe something is blocking the passage in block, but what the the hell is that?)

Thanks in advance and desperatly awaitung your sugesstions

Momo

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 04:04 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Please HELP!!!! Lifters stuck

The bottom half of the lifter is probably coverd in sludge. Try working the lifter up and down a bunch of times and see if it starts to graduauly come out farther.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 04:08 PM

my guess would be sludge and crap as well. you might try either a little marvel mystery oil or ATF on the lifters and let it run down and loosen up the crap. then try the up and down again and see what happens.

J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 04:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I think someone said you can use a dental pick to get it out. I believe they also make tools to get them out. Good luck!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]"James and the <font color=green>ALMOST</font color=green> Giant Jeep"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 04:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Theres a removal tool you can buy. Some work like a slide hammer, some pry. There may be a "ridge" that builds up with friction like on a cylinder wall. Before you install the new lifters, make sure you hone or ream the ridge away or you could cause premature wear or complete failure of your new ones. This may or may not apply to that particular engine, but I think it would.

Holy sh*t thats a long way down!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode