CJ gas tank install???? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2001, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

CJ gas tank install????

I am getting ready to install the gas tank on my Scrambler. I was wondering what goes where as far as hoses are concerned? My '82 had a couple of canisters in the rear corner but they weren't connected. What can I use in place of the cannisters? Do I need to use anything at all? I was going to connect the small tubes on the tank directly to the carb and charcoal cannister bypassing the fender canisters completely. Do all 80-86 CJ's have these canisters? What have you done???

Thanks,

Attached is a diagram of the canisters.

http://home.off-road.com/~tom85cj7/home.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-502784-tanksetup.jpg (51.9 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2001, 11:48 PM
CJ5onMaui

Re: CJ gas tank install????

i just changed the sending unit in my tank. its nice not keeping track of how many miles i have left before fill-up.

all i can tell you is my CJ5 has both canisters and i replaced the hoses.
from what i've read on this board you want the roll-over check valve... just in case.

'77 CJ5 Stocky
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 06:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

There are two lines that attach to the tank on the left side. One is from the return line on the fuel filter and the other is from the charcoal cannister. As for the cannisters in the fender well, one of them is the rollover valve that blocks fuel from running out of the tank should your jeep go wheels up, the other is called a liquid check valve in th FSM. It allows vapors to reach the charcoal cannister but blocks liquid fuel from getting to it. I don't have a rollover valve on mine because it rotted away and I couldn't find a replacement. I guess the short story is that you don't "need" either one of these valves, but they may be nice to have in some situations.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 06:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oh, forgot to add that the line from the fuel filter goes staight to the tank and the one fron the charcoal cannister goes to the liquid valve then to the rollover valve and then to the tank.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 08:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I recently "fixed" my fuel system as it was leaking fuel from that rear driver's corner you're talking about. I've now got one line going to the motor (from the top of the tank) and one fuel return line from the filter (to the left side of the tank). The other small hose on the left side of the tank I ran up high into the left rear corner and put a plastic breather cap like on the axle breather tubes. No more problems!

Who needs a road...if there's a perfectly good JEEP trail somewhere else!?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 03:49 PM

Tom,
If you aren't going to use them, and they are still good, would you be interested in selling them?

Lugnut 77 cj5
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I am not sure if I still have the canisters. If they are still good I will probably use them myself. Otherwise you can have them. I will be working on the Jeep this weekend. I will post again if I find them.

Later,

http://home.off-road.com/~tom85cj7/home.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode