YJ takes ferry! And a good plastic window cleaner - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2001, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

YJ takes ferry! And a good plastic window cleaner

Morning BBSers.

Tomorrow morning the YJ, Jeepchick and I travel by ferry over to Martha's Vineyard (a small island off the coast of Massachusetts, for those not on the right coast [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]) for a long weekend. Never had the Jeep on a boat before. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Should be a fun time.

In preparation for the trip, the YJ got a pretty intense cleaning and maintenance blitz. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] If you've got plastic windows that need some help REALLY BAD, try Finish 2001, it did wonders on my back window. It was lookin' pretty bad from being rolled up a lot, dull and scratched and cloudy, and that stuff did a nice job. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Have a good weekend guys and gals! If you see a red YJ on 33s on the island this weekend don't forget to wave! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Pete

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jeep_macgyver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2001, 11:05 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: YJ takes ferry! And a good plastic window cleaner

I remember as a kid using Bon-ami on plastic to clean it... and it didn't fog the clear plastic. I used it on my motorcycle and sidecar windshields, but they were harder plexiglass. Has anyone used it on the mylar plastic windows. If I had a softtop, I'd run out and try it!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2001, 01:21 PM
Old Hand

It will work on soft top windows but will eventually dry them out. They will become brittle and crack.

The 2001 stuff will cloud the windows after they have been the sun for a while.

I know! I have ruined at least a dozen windows. Use 1500 grit sand paper if they are bad scratched and 1800 to 2000 grit to spiff them up. Then use Meguires plastic polish to maintain the shine and condition. 303 protectant works pretty good too - no silicone.

Hank
88 YJ (sort of)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2001, 04:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Another decent window cleaner is called "Plexus". We use it to clean aircraft windows at work so I thought I'd try it on the jeep. It worked real well. Not sure about long term effects though.

It's hip to be square
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2001, 08:55 PM
I Do This For The Glory

We took our first ferry ride with the TJ last summer, to Nova Scotia. We too The Cat, which is a high-speed superferry, cruises at 55mph and holds 900 people and 300 cars. Pretty impressive. We took it over and camped/drove home, it was a lot of fun, but the ride is pricey, $210 for the wife, myself, and the TJ, ONE WAY. It was nice having the top and doors off (they're my Scrambler soft doors), cruising around, we even cruised at 95 mph on the highway home (it was very noisy with no top or doors at 95). The Cat takes 2.75 hours, but saves 750 miles of driving. We'll do it again, but only when funds allow.

Oh yeah, we use something called "Meguiar's Mirror Glaze, Professional", it works great, but not sure of where to find it.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Hey JEEPN, that's a great pic! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Is it more crowded than that on that ferry? We were lined up bumper to bumper on the boat going over.

I took the same shots of the YJ when it was on the ferry. We got a lot of strange looks from people. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] (Regular people take pictures of the scenery -- a Jeep guy takes a picture of his Jeep on the ferry.) [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

We had a great time! Unfortunately, I don't have any pics to post yet. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] It was very cool driving the Jeep onto (into!) a boat. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] I was like a 5 year old playing with his truck. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Jeepchick was laughing and got a kick out of the huge grin on my face. We took the Jeep over to Chappaquiddick also, on a 3-car ferry. This this was nothing more than a 30 foot long flat-top boat with a little pilot station. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Drove down to the beach, and took some good pics of the Jeep on the beach, but the over-sand-vehicle sticker was $140 for the season [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] and that seemed a bit much for the 2 days we'd be there, so we couldn't travel along the beach for any distance. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I'll post some pics in a few days once I get them developed.

Jeepchick drove the Jeep for a while on the island too. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] At first she couldn't get used to the fact that you can't turn the wheel all the way or the mud terrains rub the springs, or that you should get on the brakes sooner than you would in a normal car. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] She was a good sport too, [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] not minding travelling on the highway at 60-65 MPH tops as the mud terrains hum, or worried about her messed-up hair in the jeep. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The Jeep did well, and we had a fun time. Pics soon.

Pete

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jeep_macgyver
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 07:17 PM
I Do This For The Glory

That's so cool. Never had the TJ is any kind of sand, just a few little sand pits. I bet it was cool driving on a beach.

The Cat had 80 vehicles on it when we went over in the end of June, not even remotely filled. I got sicker than a dog, never been seasick before but I was that day. We also got some strange looks when I snapped the pic, but hey, momentos are momentos.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode