*&#*&^@*#$&#@()*&$@()*#&()@#$()arghh! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

*&#*&^@*#$&#@()*[email protected]()*#&()@#$()arghh!

I made a baaaad mistake today.
I got some corvette yellow enamal paint/reducer/hardner and all that jazz
I borrowed a friends paint gun and decided to start on it today..I thought I read up enough on it that I could try it out.
I have one fender..half of the drivers side of the jeep,the hood,and my tailgate painted.
The paint gun has a bolt or something on the side and it is leaking..it has a little hole in the bolt.
Its dripping paint over stuff I just painted so I have runs EVERYWHERE!
Also I've sprayed on a few coats and you can still see the colors underneath?Whats going on..
Man I should have waited for my friend to come over

Its four wheel drive and naked women what more do you want?
-Dirt Dog
SWB BBS Member Page!(exclamation)
http://www.shortwheelbase.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 06:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: *&#*&^@*#$&#@()*[email protected]()*#&()@#$()arghh!

i feel for ya man

watch out for the non letter police
they are sure to give you some hell for that subject line

[email protected],

schaan

1980 CJ7 82.9% completed
1969 Early Bronco 40% completed
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

I found out the problem!
I have different colors of primer in some places..and you can see the contrast.White in some places and gray in others..its only like that around the bodywork.
Man this sucks...I don't want to start over

-Dirt Dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 08:20 PM

Jeesh Joey ... Quit posting here if you don't take the advice.
I'm biting my tongue [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img].

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Actually jaffer I did take the advice.
I scrapped using the lacquer.
Primed surface..and did extra bodywork that I didn't want to do..but you guys said not to hide it.
I went with whatever color..cause I worked for a while getting everything taken care of.
I wasn't aware I had to make the primer a uniform color.I used a surfacer on a few places where I was redoing the bondo that wasn't good enough.
It worked..but I had white.
You can see the contrast from white to gray underneath the yellow.I've tried a few tricks from you guys(rolling on spot putty thats been thinned out..but turned chalky)
I even checked out a book from the library and read how to paint the car part over a few times..
I'm sorry if I have bothered you by asking questions..I won't ask any more paint related questions here again.
Joey

-Dirt Dog
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 08:41 PM
Pooh-Bah

Whatever you do about the spot your in, wait until the paint on there is dry, If you try to sand it down to early you will learn the new meaning on a mess. If subsuquent coats don't hide the body work, the only other option other than a darker color, is to stopn now, let it dry, rough it up with some 220 wet, seal it with a primer sealer (das1980 is great, ready to shoot out of the can), wet sand that a bit, then lay the color. Lots of work, but painting always is.

<font color=blue>pbm</font color=blue>

ROLLED The 74 CJ5, so I am now building a 78 CJ7

<font color=red>Support Search and Rescue.......Get Lost!</font color=red> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 08:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

More layers of paint will hide the primer. The places where the white primer is probably shows the paint better, and the grey is darker probably, correct? Just means ya gotta take your time, be patient, it will all look like that in the end. More layers will cover both grey and white. The white primer is just what it is, a lighter color.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 08:47 PM
sas87yj

yo joey!
don't take it so hard dude! i don't think jafer meant no harm? you have had quite a time with your jeep and many misc repairs as i have read many of your posts over the last several months. i admire you for hanging in there and "sticking" it out! mechanics doesn't come easy and takes practice like anything else. and while we're at it as spider4x4 mentioned your $$$###@@@@%%%%^^&&&***&&^^%%
i say if this trivial sh!t bothers someone they need to get a GRIP! i couldn't see anything wrong or bothersome with the little graphics. now get back to paintn'!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 09:55 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Same thing happened when I painted my 1978 Scout II the Rally Gold back in '92. It was 10 shades of primer, but after a few coats, and then a few more coats, it started to take shape. Have faith, the paint will cover the primer. Don't skimp on it thinking you'll save money, if it takes 2 gallons, get 2, if it takes more, be prepared to spend more. My Scout, which had the hard top, took 2 gallons, but that was just on the outside. Still looks great today and it was my first ever non-rattle can and non-brush job.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 10:17 PM

Naw, Joey...
I was refering to all the previous friendly warnings to take your time, think things out, keep it clean, practice, ... even practice "air spraying" with no paint ... etc, etc.
But no, you can't even wait for your friend who has more experience to show up and help ...
So you jump in and goober it up ... then come back a cry'n ...
Next you probably won't heed multiple advisorys above and muck into the undry paint and make things worse ... true?
Did you take the trouble to read the painting section on my Jeep web site?
Especially this passage ...
--------- cut
"By now I had a nice smooth multicolored body with tan, gray and green blotches all over, which was given a good all over wet sanding with 280 paper. Time for a couple more light coats of Sand and Fill to unify the feathered boarders and stabilize the patches of putty. This was gone over with 380 grit sandpaper, a 3-M abrasive sponge, and a red (medium) 3-M pad in the curves.
The Prime and Fill is still pretty porous so a coat of DuPont Prime and Seal was sprayed and smoothed with wet 400 grit sandpaper and a gray (fine) 3-M pad prior to the three DuPont base color coats and two DuPont CromaColor clear coats. All this sounds - and is - easy. Shooting even coats takes practice.
The hours it takes to do all these steps well are long and hard."

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode