Strangest recovery? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Strangest recovery?

I was reading the Were's my JP mag post http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads//...=expanded&sb=5 and got to wondering what is the strangest piece of equipment you have used or seen used in a vehicle recovery?

They that can give up essential
liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 11:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Strangest recovery?

Husky Liners!!! Yes the floor mats. Used to stuff under the tires. It worked and didn't hurt the liners.

Click to visit the <font color=red>LIBERTY FREE</font color=red> Extreme Trails website!
http://clix.to/extremetrails
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 12:11 AM
Mud in my Veins

Got a 5ton 6X6 stuck up to the doors in a monster hole in the Phillipines. After I "employeed" about 50-60 locals with a few cases of "C"rations, they pulled the waterbull (full!) off and drug it out by hand. After more bribes, they produced a 1"x30' piece of aircraft cable off the beach. Tied an overhand knot in it, locked it in the pintle, and pulled the truck out by hand! I just stood in the back with my jaw dropped[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img].

Caver Dave
Vintage Jeeps(ters) have Character,
new Jeeps just have payments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 07:28 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Like the Husky mats, I have a set of Cooking grates (really just HUGE expanded metal) that we use to put under the tires when on ice/snow. They work great. Not a lot of unusual stuff here used for recovery.

I have used many a log to get vehicles out of the woods, like the ski we built for a Jeep when he snapped his ball join on one side. We used the winch to lash it down to the jeep, along with a come along, and cut notches in the log. Once we got it to the road, we had to drive it a mile down, and the log survived well. Then there was the time night wheeling a guy (that cold arched his own springs) sheared all the springs off right behind the axle. Another log was used to create a "hard tail jeep" to get it out of the woods. Another time a winch cable was wound to act as the clutch linkage, which was completely torn off and destroyed. "Power-in/Power-out" had a whole new meaning.

Not much unusual, I'd love to see some of the ones posted here, maybe all in due time.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 07:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

a Hi-Lift. Not that strange you say? It is if you're using it to move a huge bolder to get your Jeep keys that fell behind it. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

A.B.

I think, therefore I am ...... a Jeeper
http://www.ShortWheelbase.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 08:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

a buddy of mine used two 5' x 1 1/2' steel grates the had holes punched into them for door mats

i had him make 2 more and nothing ( REALY ) ive seen does what they can to get you some instant traction

just be sure to go it slow and have all body parts in the cab when you take off in case it flys out from under the tire

oh course i guess im a little reckless as my CO2 front bumper idea was bad also iguess

[email protected],

schaan

1980 CJ7 84.3% completed
1969 Early Bronco 43% completed
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 09:25 AM
BHT

During a night ride on dirt bikes my buddy drowned his XR. We made a tow strap out of a roll of duct tape and towed him back to camp!

BHT
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 09:52 AM
Can't Get Enough

This is a hunting related stuck, Driving down an icy mtn road with a drop-off, the toyota Land Cruiser I was a passenger in slid around, went over the embankment backwards. Came to rest agianst some large trees about 100' down the hill facing straight up the hill. This was about 2 hours after dark, and traffic was just about nill. Nothing to winch to, we had the choice of walking 15 mi. out or staying with the jeep. After walking all day, walking out did not seem fun. We remembered seeing a logging operation up the road, we thought lets go up and see if anyone can give us some assistance. No one is around, but there is a log skidder parked there with a large winch and several hundred feet of cable. Yes, we were able to start it and drive it down to the TLC and pull it up the bank. We returned it with a note telling them we needed to borrow it and $20 stuck in the safety cage. They never complained or contacted us.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 10:33 AM

One time, at band camp.... We used a roll of duct tape, a craftsman 1/2" box end wrench, a proctologist, a catholic priest, a welder, holy water, a scuba tank, three donkeys, an aircraft carrier, a hooker, and a cop to extract my Jeep.

Then I woke up, man I gotta sober up!

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 11:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

this could start a duct tape thread but im sure there already been one

[email protected],

schaan

1980 CJ7 84.3% completed
1969 Early Bronco 43% completed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode