Engine Fire. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Engine Fire.

Just a qucik question.

Say I had a fire extingusiher, and then all of a sudden I had an engine fire.

Experts say not to open the hood.. so then how the hell do you put the fire out. Spraying into the grill/radiator is only going to cause the foam to bubble, boil, and make a mess.

Do you think insurance will cover the carb if it some how "teleports" behind the tires of a 350 with dualies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 02:43 PM
Addict

Re: Engine Fire.

My best guess is shoot it in from the fenderwell or from under the grill. I certainly hope no-one here has to contend with this in real life.

"We're gonna need a bigger boat." --Jaws
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 03:18 PM
Matt M38A1

Just open the hood. If it's early enough that you can't see flames, chances are the fire is small enough that it won't harm you. Obviously on any other vehicle popping the hood allows a couple inches to shoot into to knock down the flames. On a Jeep, you don't have that luxury.

Common sense is the best tool you could have in that situation though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 03:42 PM
Can't Get Enough

Just be careful before you raise a hood when there is an engine fire, Opening the hood allows a flow of oxygen and causes the fire to flash very dangerously. What may appear as a small fire or just smoke will immediately turn into a blazing inferno that could injure you and casue further damage to your vehicle. best bet is to try and extinguish the fire by spraying the extinguisher from underneath or through a fender well as described earlier. I've often considered installing a simple under the hood extinguishing system that could be set off from the cab, I just have never really looked into it or designed one. It shouldn't be too hard to do, we all make performance upgrades to our rigs and short of roll bars we hardly ever do safety impprovements or improvements that might save all of our hard work we put into our rigs [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

http://bastroptx4x4.alloffroad.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 03:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

As kerryp pointed out. Opening the hood adds oxygen. It also puts the fire right in your face. Flames will rise to the highest point. As you open the hood, your hands will be right where the flames will go. Your face will be right there with them.
Maybe hood louvers aren't that ugly after all.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 04:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just spray the outside of the Jeep and all around it so it looks like you tried, and then run like hell and hope you have good insurance.
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Who needs a road...if there's a perfectly good JEEP trail somewhere else!?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 04:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

good plan, but in my case, my wrangler has it's own personality, an dI have already becoma attatched to it, it would be like watching a child burn. It'd never happen when I'm around. ANyone else have this attatchment to their Jeep?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 04:47 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I had a diesel engine catch fire once and one of my sons just grabbed the Halon fire extinguisher out of the service truck and blasted through the radiator of the diesel and it stopped the blaze right away. Is Halon still manufacturered? Those Halon units are really effective.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks run by Moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img], buildin' the ultimate SNOJEEP!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 04:51 PM
Can't Get Enough

I don't know for sure, but I think it may still be manufactured for certain uses. Its definitly better than spraying the typical extinguishing chemicals on an engine fire. The typical chemicals, if sprayed on a carbureted engine will require that you tear down and clean the engine before running it again unless you want your engine to prematurely fail (that is if it gets in the engine...

http://bastroptx4x4.alloffroad.com
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 04:54 PM
Way Outta Control

Most engine fires happen when one of several things occur:

1. You're away from the Jeep and all the blow-by and valve cover leakage finally makes it's way down to the hot manifold and smolders. After you shut off the Jeep and walk away the smoldering continues untill there's enough fuel and O2 for the fire to errupt. The fuel can be gas, more oil, vacuum lines, wiring, almost anything that burns.

This type of fire has done most of it's damage by the time you've gotten back to the Jeep... and may even have burned itself out.

2. When you're running rich and backfire through the carb. This can be dangerous and very, very scary because you're in/or around the Jeep. The engines running and pouring fuel into the Carb. This is not a pretty sight. If this type of fire occurs, <font color=red>SHUT OFF THE ENGIE</font color=red> so more fuel ain't poured on the fire.

This fire can be VERY hot, and infact by the time you've jumped out an are at the hood latch you're probably feeling the heat. This ought to tell you something... as the other posters have said you can guess what's going to happen to your face, hands, shirt, hair, eyebrows, etc. if you lift the hood.

With this type of fire, you've got to act quickly... and lifting the hood is about the only choice. But the question is how far to lift it. IMHO just far enough to get the nozzel of the extinquisher into where it can do it's work... an then Lette 'er rip. You can clean up the mess later.... just be very, very vigilent.

3. Electrical fires occur when you've got some bear wiring that carry some hefty current hitting up against ground. The wire heats, the insulation melts and sometimes flames up. It's like watching the crew of the Enterprise, you'd swear the Jeep's wired with maganese wire.

With this type of fire the source of the igniton is usally removed by shutting off the ignition or a blown fuse or the wire becomes it's own fuseable link. Then you're left with the residual fire. Though it can be hot, it's usally more confined than a gas related fire.

4. In any event... don't become this:

Most engine fires are preverntable by keeping the engine clean of oil and leaking fluids, keeping the timing in specificaiton and the wiring harnesses in good conditon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode