Off Roading Forums banner

Need some help with part numbers on TR ignition upgrade

482 views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
#1 ·
Went to the parts store to get a cap, adapter, rotor, wires and coil for a 1984 F350 460 w/EEC. Ford had a variety of cap and rotor's for this vehicle. However, because I need a push-on rotor, the selection was smaller. Problem is that the computer at Advance Auto did not list an adapter for a 460 w/eec and push-on rotor. Does anyone who has done the upgrade recently have the actual part numbers? Thanks in advance for the help!

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
JK
O|||O
78CJ5 360

See less See more
G
#2 ·
I Know Teamrush listed NAPA Echlin part numbers in a post a few months back, so you might do a search on TFI upgrade. I just finished mine but used MSD parts, so that probably won't help you. If I get some time tomorow I will try to look up Standard part numbers. here are the MSD numbers.
Ford cap adapt kit: 8414
MSD 6 module: 6200
MSD TFI coil: 8227
universal 8mm heli-core wires: 3119
and I used harness 8874. it is not nesessary, but was worth the $ I spent on it.
Total thru Summit $274.30. Was it worth the $? I would have to say yes.

#4 ·
Thanks FYRBALL MT, I have the latest version of what TR sent out, and it has a place to put all the part numbers, but he indicated that he didn't have the time at the moment to fill in the numbers. I wonder if the parts store can cross reference the MSD numbers?

JK
O|||O
78CJ5 360

#5 ·
Make it easy for your self, and for the chimp at auto jerks...
Ask for...
Cap Adaptor, Cap & Rotor for a 79 F-150 with 302 V-8.
They only used one cap and rotor that year on all V-8 engines, and it will fit your distributor housing.

Get the Plug Wires and TFI coil from the F-350 with 460 CID engine, any year with EEC...
(With EEC gets you the TFI coil and the correct coil wire with the spark plug wire package)

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"

G
#6 ·
I have found that if you ask for wires and a coil for any '89 F-150, F-250, or Bronco that you get the right wires and coil. There was only one ignition system to pick from in '89 (w/EEC) so it eliminates the confusion for the parts boys. If you have the 258, get wires for a 300 I-6 and if you have a V8 (304,360) get wires for a 302, 351, or 460.

#7 ·
Thanks gents...these parts guys kill me. They act as if they know it all, when their knowledge is as deep as their computer screen. You know you are in trouble when they ask if your CJ is a 4wd.

JK
O|||O
78CJ5 360

G
#8 ·
The parts went on a 78 CJ5 with a 401( not stock ). I used the stock Motorcraft distributer, but since I can turn the engine better then 6000 RPM I wanted something better then the stock control module. I can feel a big difference in smoothness and power, so it was worth the $ for me. Had some time to research the part numbers. They are Standard part number. Should be easy to cross.
cap: FD168X
Rotor: FD117X
TFI coil: FD476X
Cap adapter: FD156

These are the top line Standard part numbers. If you want to drop down in quality a little drop the X. You will still get brass terminals in the cap. I recomand the TFI coil, But forgot to look up the number for the coil lead wires, but they will cost as much as the MSD harness listed above. By the way you only use the coil half of the MSD harness, Makes for a sweet install.

Thanks, Ray

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.