Axle Selection - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 07:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Axle Selection

I am going to buy a new TJ this Saturday. I have been researching everything about it for the last couple months. My question is: After I get it, I plan on lift and tires soon after. What exactly is the difference between the dana 30, dana 35, and dana 44. If I plan on lift and big tires, do I need or should I opt for the dana 44. Will this be substantially better than the dana 35 in rear? and about gearing? 3.73 better for larger tires? I know a lot when it comes to engines/performance, but when it comes to suspension, axle/gearing, I'm like a blond astronaut... ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Also the minimum amount of lift needed for 33'' tires. Anyone see the new BFG M/T's? sweet! Thanks...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 07:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Axle Selection

well.. if you plan on sticking with 35's or smaller.. then you could use the d35... but i would go with a d44... always better.. for 33's.. i would say 4".. i would get a good quality lift... spend the bucks.. you wont be dissapointed.. and in the long run.. it will pay for itself..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 07:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

id say buy a used one and put 60's or 44's under it.
if you must buy new then opt for heavy duty axles they have available

[email protected],

schaan

1980 CJ7 83.2% completed
1969 Early Bronco 43% completed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 07:54 PM

i agree... get a used one that you can beat up...

i had a brand new 4x4 a while ago... and you will wind up selling it to get a car AND a REAL j44p ...

it really hurts scratching the brand new paint, seeing you bumper-corners coming off, etc...

hope this helps ... think about it

alfred

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 08:13 PM
Keyboard Implanted

hey even a used tj.. is only a 97.. at the oldest.. still have plenty of life in them... you wont need brand spankin new.. get something a year or so old.. take care of it.. and it will last you many years..

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 08:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

this is true, though with Jeep, you never know who's been thrashing on it before you, and have minimal chance of finding the silverstone metallic, sport, with D 44's, and all the other things ya want (or need) My friend has a 87 with a 3 inch body lift and 33x14's and he trashes the crap out of it. I have nightmares of buying something like that. I bought an explorer (mistake) that had been trashed without knowing it. And the thought of owning new, i dunno, just gives me a warm fuzzy jeep experience feeling inside me. Oh well, thanks for replying

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 08:33 PM

Dana 30 is the only front axle available to you in a stock TJ. 35 or 44 is the choice for the rear. Get the 44 in the rear if you can; you won't regret having it, but there may come a time when you regret not getting it. Overbuild the first time; guards against incrementalism and you will save money. . new or used, I don't think it matters much. Just understand that when you run the trail you run the risk of damage, even if it is an "easy" one. Personally, I think it would be cool to have a TJ with < 1k miles on 35's with an RE longarm kit and low profile skid.

As for gearing, I'm not sure what is available in new TJ's. Take a test drive, and note what rpm range seems comfortable in various gears. Make sure you know the axle ratio and tire size of the test vehicle. Now find one of the ratio calculators on the web and figure out what rpm's changing tire size will give you. Then you will know exactly what to expect before you spend big bucks on tires or gears. I have 4.56 gears with 33's and a four speed and it sucks on the highway, cuz I can't push my engine over 3K rpm's. I think it would be better to go with 3.73 in axles and use a 4-1 kit to gain the crawl ratio.

Max

82 CJ, some stuff stock, some stuff not
Have you hugged your Jeep today?
http://www.alpine14rs.org
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 08:45 PM
Keyboard Implanted

well.. crawl your ass up under it... if the undercarraige.. is all banged up.. then you know its aleast been used...
but that doesnt mean it was abused.. depends on who the owner was.. if you look it over real well.. you can tell.. look for small oil leaks.. in all the nooks and crannies.. the little things like that..

post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 08:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thats actually what I've been thinking about: Dana 44 rear, with 3.73 gearing. Probably won't go over 33'' tires, but you never know. The highway is another thing I'm thinking about, and assuring myself I won't go over 33's, at least until I'm done with college. Then I can afford to get my camaro back on the road for trips and such. I'm just going to buy new to prevent anything from happening. And I'm going to crawl my ass up there on the new one anyway, lol.. Gotta get the lift on, and do some waterproofing. maybe some liner for the bottom. ahh, jeep, and endless possibilites

post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 09:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

tj dana 44's come with 3.73 gears.
get a new silver tj. get the dana 44 rear axle. get a sport(only way you CAN get a d-44) get A/C (gives you a better alternator and battery). get a terra or rubicon express 4" lift. get new rims and sell your really nice ones you just paid $650 for. see, the d-44 comes with the "canyon" tire and mrim package with 30" tires...the rims are 8" rims, but will not allow for 33's to bolt to a tj 'cause their backspacing puts the tires in the coil mounts. so you get to sell your rims and buy new ones. personally, i ordered a d-44 with no limited slip, and then used the $280 for a lock-rite. i am happy 'cause the wife is happy with her jeep. but now she wants 35's and that means new gears 'cause i tried the 3.73 with 35's for a bit and it sucked.. it's just fine with 33's though.

~~Elusive~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode