Can a YJ's tire carrier handle a 33 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 01:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Can a YJ\'s tire carrier handle a 33

Can the stock YJ tire carrier handle the weight of a 33x12.50 on a steel rim? Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 01:47 AM

Re: Can a YJ\'s tire carrier handle a 33

that all depends on you off roading style if you enjoy hard landings no it wont and when it falls off and it will it will probably take some sheetmetal with it

jeep the first 4 wheel drive the only 4 wheel drive
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 03:34 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I don't know about the actual place it mounts to on the tailgate. But I'd sure be worried about when you goto open the sucker up. It'll probably start sagging and bending at the hinge, screwing your metal up a bit. But that is just my thought.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]Eat, Sleep, JEEP[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
"James and the Giant Jeep"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 04:40 AM
Wrangler88

as i recall, and but don't quote me on this, jeeps spec is either 55lbs or 65lbs for the tailgate tire carrier,..i run a 32" BFG MT on mine and it was ok for about a week, now i have to lift the tire to close the tailgate and it really clunks and clanks when i hit bumps so its coming off and i guess its time for a new tire carrier..

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd / 32"BFG MT's
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 07:54 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

My opinion would be no. I used to carry a 31 x 10.5, but above that I'd recommend a frame mounted tire carrier. If you haven't got a hi-lift jack yet, those mount nicely on the carriers also.

Good luck
Pete

88 YJ - trails/beach trips only![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
79 4WD F250-hauler/tower of my toys
70 Jaguar E-type - the best car England ever made. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
90 Honda CRX - Daily pavement-pounder. 42 MPG. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 07:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, my buddy has one {33x12.5x15} on his and has had it on for a long time, he hasn't had any troubles....

Shannon
78 4.2
t176,dana300

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 08:47 AM

I had a 32x12.50 on my 87 for about a year and then one day I noticed the rear of the body where the top hinge mounts had a crack in it, after further investigation I also had a worn latch and the gate was sagging. So I finaly built my rear bumper and swing out tire carrier. My suggestion would be to get that big of a tire off the gate unless you just never take it to any rough off road outings.
GP'n

post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 08:54 AM
Frank360

I have a 33x12.5 on mine, no problem, been there for years.... door opens, you see it's forcing a little, but when closed it's ok...

'89 YJ, AMC360, T-15A, D20, D44 F&R, 33' BF MT, mud, rust and some body paint left
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 06:31 PM
sas87yj

would'nt recommend it. the tailgate isn't designed for that much weight. when closed it is it's strongest but when opened is when the strain really kills it. hinges really take a beating. yeah it will start cracking. get a swing-out carrier on a good bumper like BULLETPROOF or DURANGO4x4. gonna cost you but will be the right thing to do. or.....make your own. i have a little 30" spare with a rack on my tailgate right now and it is feeling the strain even with rack empty. i am going to put a 32 on when i get a new bumper/carrier soon.

steve
87yj,6cly,5spd,NP231,4.5"RE susp,1" body,SYE,CV,32x11.50MTR's,D30,D35posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode