Locker Dilema - Need opinions! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Locker Dilema - Need opinions!

Well, I'm inching closer to getting my axles installed into my YJ. Well, I noticed the thread today about the cable locker. I guess I should of considered this route before I threw the Detroits in. My thoughts are possible pulling the Detroit out and selling it. Then buying an Ox-locker and installing it myself. How hard would it be to install? Could I just pull the detroit and ring gear out and pop the new one in? Or do I have to reset all the measurements? My other thought was driving my YJ with the Detroit and seeing how I like it. But if I don't like it, that means I'll be out of a Jeep while I do the new install. So it seems most logical to swap now if I'm going to. What opinions do you all have? Only thing I'm scared about is how new the Ox is. It'll be my luck and they'll release a newer version after I get mine installed Thanks!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]Eat, Sleep, JEEP[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
"James and the Giant Jeep"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 06:59 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Locker Dilema - Need opinions!

1. relax
2. enjoy your detroits
3. spend the $$$ on something you need to get the jeep more completed

~~Elusive~~
http://www.jeepgod.net
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 07:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm with elusive on this one. Just go wheelin and you'll be so psyched on the detroits that you won't have to worry about your buildup anymore and you can finally just start enjoying your jeep for a while.

G-Man
If you don't like the way I'm living, you can just leave this long-haired country boy alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 08:23 AM
Keyboard Implanted

no kidding.. forget that fancy dancy yahoo stuff.. throw the detriot in.. and forget about it.. spend your cash on something more useful.. like chrome bumpers.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 08:42 AM
Can't Get Enough

I agree with the posts above, My brother in law bought one and right now they are back ordered for weeks anyway, so go with what ya got. The only issue I see with detroits are turning the tight corners when locked, thats when the cable/air locker comes in handy, or twin sticks (on a 300) to allow you to disengage the front to turn easier.

82 Scrambler/360/T5/D300/4" SUA/AMC20/Rear Discs/Somers Bros Axles/D30/3:73's/Lockrite Lockers.
2001 Bare Stock Trendy Jeep Sport (everyday driver)
Smithville, Texas
Member TX4X4 Cyber Club
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Already got my chrome bumpers picker out!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] J/K. I'm not too worried about turning tight corners with the front engaged. If it gets too bad, I'll just throw in Teraflex's 2wdlow conversion so I can shift to only the rear. The only reason I considered the Ox was because of street manners. I'm guess I'm just a bit scared that it might drive like sh!t on the street, especially with all the rain we get in Oregon. Is it really that bad, or will I be fine?

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]Eat, Sleep, JEEP[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
"James and the Giant Jeep"
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 07:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

id be interested in that detrroit if you are serious

[email protected],

schaan

1980 CJ7 83.2% completed
1969 Early Bronco 43% completed
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 10:11 PM
Addict

I went with a Detroit in the rear for about three years. And boy am I glad to have the ARB's.

On the trail, they are great. On the street, the banging and clunking was very annoying.

It is true that turning a locked front end is difficult. I usually leave the ARB's open until needed. It is suprising sometimes how far you can go without locking up.

As far as the cable locker, let someone else try them. They are too new for me to spend money on. I don't want to be the mfg's guinea pig. Especially when they cost as much as an ARB that have been proven for years.

CJ-8, 4.0, NP435, D44 x D60, ARB's, 4w Disc, 2"YJ springs, SOA, 1" Body lift, 38.5" TSL SX

CJ-6, Cherokee
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 04:11 PM

Hard time turning a front with a locked Detriot???, Add a hydro assisted steering setup.
No levers, no cables, no tierod clearance issue, no O-rings, No switches, just lock the hubs and wheel,,,,just an opinon, keep it simple.

Wayne @ Big Island RockCrawlers
Web Site: http://www.members.tripod.com/surfmac/Index.html
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 04:21 PM
Addict

Doesn't hydro assisted steering sound like more broken parts to you? It does me.

CJ-8, 4.0, NP435, D44 x D60, ARB's, 4w Disc, 2"YJ springs, SOA, 1" Body lift, 38.5" TSL SX

CJ-6, Cherokee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode