Locker Dilema - Need opinions! - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 05:20 PM

Re: Locker Dilema - Need opinions!

A ram and two hoses, that's all thats added, then you just tap into the steering box. As long as the hose fittings are routed "up" from the ram, the hoses are relatively safe and rams can take a pounding without breaking. If a hose does break, you disconnect it at the box and cap the fitting, you still have power steering or carry a spare hose, It's trial fixable. I've never seen a broken Detroit(but heard of only a few in the 30something years I've wheeled) but I've seen broken manual lockers many times and when they do break they are rarely trail fixable. On mine, the tierod(where ram is mounted)is behind the axle so its very protected. This is just what works for me, everythings breakable, I just think this breaks less.

Wayne @ Big Island RockCrawlers
Web Site: http://www.members.tripod.com/surfmac/Index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 08:09 PM
Veteran

I'm with WC on this one. I just got back from a charity run in WV and saw at LEAST two different individuals with ARB's that to me were a pain in the butt. Leaking/bursting hoses, popping out of "gear", etc. I didn't see/hear of anyone blowing out a manual locker.

post #13 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 08:14 PM
Veteran

WC: I'm installing a hydro-boost brake system on my CJ and am curious about the addition of a ram assisted steering system. Is there enough pump under the hood to run both systems? I'd really like to have both systems as I perceived steering and brakes to be my two main weak links on this past run. I'm just unclear as to whether both systems can live together and be run from a single pump.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 09:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've driven with Detroit's for almost two years, and have only heard (and felt) the rear twice on the road. Both times I was giving it a fair amount of throttle from a stop as I was turning. It's pretty loud, and anyone around is looking to see what you broke. I hardly ever even notice that they're there, except when I'm off road. I didn't have a problem in snow either, and I'm no old lady behind the wheel. My wife has never had a problem driving the jeep either. I say get 'em and forget 'em!

Darren

post #15 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 07:42 PM

Sorry to all about changing the topic of this thread,
spook2, you can slightly modify the pump to increase pressure and volume. The info is on my site, its EZ.

Wayne @ Big Island RockCrawlers
Web Site: http://www.members.tripod.com/surfmac/Index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode