Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   New winch = TJ Running Hot (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/78032-new-winch-%3D-tj-running-hot.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 07-09-2001 04:20 PM

New winch = TJ Running Hot

Recently, I installed a HS9500I on my TJ with a Tomken mounting plate. Needless to say it blocked quite a bit of the radiator air flow. I just came back from a camping trip traveling through Western Montana and Northern Idaho where the temp was in the low 90's. The Jeep was running better than 210 on the guage much of the time. I think that the stock thermostat is 195 degree. If I went with a 180 degree will that cure the problem if it is a problem? I just don' want it to run that high. I also don't want to go to low since I live in the Northwest and we have winters. I like the heater to work. Have any of you had this experiance? Thanks for the info. Rick

'98 TJ Sport, 31" BFG's, Tera 4", No-Slip in the Dana 44, HS 9500i, SYE.

jeepnmatt 07-09-2001 04:36 PM

Re: New winch = TJ Running Hot

i would stay with the 195F thermostat. you may want to try a high-flow 'stat like the Robert Shaw. they carry them at the local Auto-Zone here in Indy. while you are in there, you may want to do a little porting on your t-stat housing. Turbo-City sells a high-flow housing, but they are basically ported stock units. i think Jeepskate has a comparison of the stock vs. TurboCity on his website. i have heard good things about a product by Redline called "Water Wetter". its a pink additive that is supposed to make your coolant conduct heat better. hope this helps! matt

CJ7JeepOffRoad 07-09-2001 04:54 PM

You may want to add a auxiliary fan to you rad also!

Rodney C
1985 CJ7,302 V8,T18,D20,D44's,SOA,Shackles Reversed, 35" BFG AT's, Fiberglass Tub & Front End...
1990 Samurai,87 drive line,SOA+2.5" Add-A-Leaf,4.16's,5.12's,33" BFG's,Pony Carb...

pontiac58 07-09-2001 05:03 PM

If you have an auto put a tranny cooler on and dont use the tranny part of the rad. That way the tranny doesnt heat up the water.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.

**DONOTDELETE** 07-09-2001 06:03 PM

I have the 5 speed and not the auto tranny. Is it hard on the engine running a lower temp. thermostat? Rick

'98 TJ Sport, 31" BFG's, Tera 4", No-Slip in the Dana 44, HS 9500i, SYE.

pontiac58 07-09-2001 06:50 PM

I dont think you can run a lower thermo with a computer. If the temp does get below the running temp the computer will start to add more fuel kinda how a choke works a a carb. Plus if the temp is higher then your thermo now the lower thermo wont help. I would look into a bigger rad. If the tj's dont come stock with an electric fan i would try that first.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.

**DONOTDELETE** 07-09-2001 07:14 PM

I went to the 180 deg. thermostat and that cured my problem in my cj. But if what pontiac58 said is corect then your stuck. But there is a racing coolant that I know of named Evans that has a rediculasly high boiling point, something like 300 deg. and prevents the air pockets from forming in the coolant around your combustion chambers, which causes cracks in your head. It doesn't actually lower your operaqting temp., but allows you to run much higher temps. It comes already mixed, and I think it's quite expensive. I don't know if this info will help you or not but thought I'd pass it on.....

Shannon
78cj5 4.2
t176,dana300

**DONOTDELETE** 07-09-2001 10:49 PM

Pontiac is correct. And You must have some other problem with the Jeep. I built a 98 TJ for my best friends, its got a treflex 3.5" lift on it, 33s, an XD9000I, and tons of other stuff...its got the automatic, 4.0L, and the stock 3.08 gears in it....and it only runs about 5* warmer than it ever did...you may wanna flush the cooling system...

mike

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)

3jeepguy 07-10-2001 12:28 AM

if i remember the tomken plate puts the winch up higher than normal thus blockin more of the radiator so what i would do is put an auxiliary pusher fan with a toggle switch powered through a keyed power source thus if you turn the key off but not the fan it will shut off anyhow not killing the battery also with a swtich you can shut it off for water crossings very helpfull

jeep the first 4 wheel drive the only 4 wheel drive http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads_u...8288825673.jpg

elusive 07-10-2001 06:58 AM

my tj runs about 210 all the time.. sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less. all the 4.0 tj's i have seen do..unless you are up around 230 or so.. i wouldnt wory about it

~~Elusive~~
http://www.jeepgod.net