Steering question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 04:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Steering question

I just threw a set of 1 1/2" shackles onto my '95 Wrangler to get an extra 3/4" of height. My friends have told me that this minimal shackle lift shouldn't produce any undesired side-effects, but after installing them, my steering has been acting up. Basically, whenever I take a corner, my Jeep wants to maintain the turn I initiate, and I have to pull the wheel back to center. Could this be a result of the shackles? Is there a cheap/easy fix? Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 04:54 PM
CJ5onMaui

Re: Steering question

sounds like the caster angle is off center due to the shackle lift. you could shim the front axle w/ metal shims from procomp. I'm not sure if thats the easiest way, but it will restore your steering to normal feel. that's it, hope this helps.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 05:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mine continued steering in the same direction with stock shackles. I have manual steering and 33's so the steering is pretty heavy. I then put on 1 1/2" lift shackles, I didn't notice any difference between the two with respect to the steering self-centering itself. I did notice that it seemed to take some of the slop out of the steering though, but I think that was from the poly bushings. When you put on the longer shackles you decrease your caster angle, and I think that could cause your steering to bind up a bit and cause your problem. I just learned to live with it{and alot of other things}..........

Shannon
78cj5 4.2
t176,dana300

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 01:16 AM
Official Historian

I would look at getting some shims from somewhere else other than pro comp. I used their front shims with their lift and when I pulled the front apart a year later to get gears and lockers put in, (it saved me $100 by dropping off the housing without the shafts), the shims were almost gone. They don't seem to be very strong. Look for steel shims.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 03:41 AM

It is the shackles. I guarantee it. I have a 4" lift on my CJ. When I still had stock shackles and the lift springs. the wheel would return to center easily. I put a set of Currie's greasable shackles on, I thought they were stock length. Well, they are a little over and inch longer. I got a total of 5/8" lift. Now the wheel doesn't return to center like it did before. Not a problem for me, but some people that are not used to it, it really gets them when they drive my jeep..
You can either live with it or spend the money and get a spring lift. For a 2" lift you wouldn't have to change much else.. Like brake lines and driveshafts and such..

Hope this helps..

76 CJ7, 258,Jeep T18, D20 TC, D30 & AMC20.
4" Superlift, 33" SSR's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode