What was the outcome? TinBenders Vs. POR? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

What was the outcome? TinBenders Vs. POR?

Anybody get the skinny on who won the the showdown on the 'Con this weekend? Was it H8's crew, or POR? Enquiring minds want pics!!!!

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 12:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: What was the outcome? TinBenders Vs. POR?

Judging from the Pirates boards, POR won by a wide margin.

Chad Lloyd 95 YJ 4.0 NP435 203 EBD20 woodies D44s 4.88 detroits SOA revolvers 35 X 15.5 SXs 8274
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 03:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

There are some good pics on the por general 4x4 thread.
I got to get out west, it looks like a riot.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 10:30 PM

The Pirates whooped up on the rest of us.
The Tin Benders took second by a pretty good margin, but it was no contest for 1st.
The Pirates had Bob Roggy's ARCA rig which just flew through the obstacles for a perfect run. Lance(POR), also made the left wall line, after a bit of musceling, including a rear stand up, that almost put him on his lid, (It was awesome to watch). Billy Bob(POR)also made it using plenty of raw HP and a brutal driving style. Two of our best rigs broke, one durring the competition, and one beyond repair the night before). Mike (Tin Bender), made the left wall line in his rock buggy, with only one back up, and did a great job of driving. I tried everything to get over the rock on the left wall line, but could not get up high enough to make the pivot. 38" tires and up and at least 100" WB seemed to be the ticket. I hammered the Jeep very hard, and in return received quite a bit of rock rash, but in the end I timed out. The drive train held together very well though. It was awsesome driving in front of that many rabid screaming spectators. The magazine photographer from Petersons did photo the entire event, so it will be in a future edition. As for me. I knew I still needed some work, to be competetive with the big boys, but Im not done fabricating, Im just gonna take a little time and enjoy the set up I have, and spend some more time on the trail. Other than not climbing one rock, the Jeep did everything I asked of it very impressively.
There will be another challenge next year.

Jeff
89 YJ
Wow, you can get a nice tan on your arms, from welding with no shirt on.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 10:57 PM
sas87yj

yeah sounds like you had fun though! bustin rock is a blast! i imagine to be competitive you have to go the MAX on fabrication to keep up with the others. you know what you need i imagine. when i desert raced scooters it wasn't so bad because most of the scooters were the same so to speak. well except for a husky or KTM. it seemed more of driver ability if you had a basic rig with suspension and power. and you had to keep it up with tires and ring it after each race etc. oh and one more thing- you had to be slightly f*cking crazy!!!!!!!!!!WFO

steve
87yj,6cly,5spd,NP231,4.5"RE susp,1" body,SYE,CV,32x11.50MTR's,D30,D35posi
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 11:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

JEff, I was there and saw it all, you gave it a hell of a try and the bod damage above the right rear looked tough.We were camped at Buck Island and trecked back to the little sluice to watch the comp. What a show it was.That was our first trip to the Rubicon and to see the crowd,comp and the rigs just made it that much more bitchen of a trip.Cant wait for next years trip.,....

JD
Its a "JEEP THING" That's my story and Im stickin to it!!!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 11:53 PM

Thanks for comming out and watching. The crowd really made it a spetacular event. Even the Petersons photographer was impressed. Everyone I talked to, enthusiasticly said they would come out again for the next event. I think club challenges, might be a good way to get more people involved, that cant go the full blown ARCA route. Hundreds of event T shirts were sold, and orders for hundreds more were requested.

Jeff
89 YJ
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 12:03 AM
Addict

I am bummed that I missed it. I had a local event that I had already commited to, so I was unable to attend.

I am glad your rig performed well.

I will be sure to not miss next years event.

CJ-8, 4.0, NP435, D44 x D60, ARB's, 4w Disc, 2"YJ springs, SOA, 1" Body lift, 38.5" TSL SX

CJ-6, Cherokee
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 12:33 AM

Here are a couple of pics of the rock that stopped me.
There are some great pics on the General 4x4 section of the POR board. Kathy didnt get many pics, she was down ther in the middle of everything, this time. She even rode with me through the box the night before, and didnt jump out when we stood it straight up and leaned it hard to her side, on one of the runs. She also did a lot of driving this weekend, even got it up on 3 wheels,..... so it looks like I might have to start taking some of the pics.

Jeff
89 YJ
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 05:51 AM
Keyboard Implanted

hey jeff.. is that the very beginning of the sluice? and you are trying to go over that huge rock on the left.. ??? im tring to remember this... but its been a few years... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]... if it is what i am thinking of.. than i am really impressed... i had all i could do to get my rig with 33" around to the right of that thing.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode